Durham College (DC) is hosting its fifth annual Epic Mac n’ Cheese competition at the W. Galen Weston Centre for Food on Saturday, April 6. Students in Grades 11 and 12 will have the chance to put their culinary skills to the test – with mentoring from DC culinary students – while the community attends to sample their mouth-watering creations and vote on who wins
Past recipes have included ingredients such as Muenster, blue and Gouda cheeses, merguez sausage, seafood, caramelized pears, a variety of fresh herbs and spices, and so much more!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
8:30 a.m. – Registration
9 to 11:15 a.m. – Epic Mac n’ Cheese competition
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – People’s choice tasting and voting
1 p.m. – Award ceremony
To purchase tickets in advance call Pantry, the CFF’s retail store, at 905.721.2000 ext. 4271 or drop by in person Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Adults (ages 15+) – $10.
- Youth (ages seven to 14) – $5.
- Kids (six-years-old and under) – free.
Tickets are also available at the door. Come early, space is limited.
Are you a high-school student?
Put your recipe to the test! Team up with a partner and develop a recipe that is sure to be the most epic mac n’ cheese ever!
Epic Mac N’ Cheese competition criteria:
- A maximum of 12 teams will be allowed to compete.
- Each team will create tasting portions of mac n’ cheese from a limited selection of ingredients (ingredient list will be provided to registered competitors).
- People’s choice awards will be given to the top three favourite recipes.
- Students will compete in teams of two.
- Participants can enter as a team from the same school, as an individual seeking a partner or as a solo competitor.
- Viewing is open to the public and the competition will be judged by the attendees.
Participating students will have a chance to qualify for a bursary towards a culinary program at DC.
Students must email their completed application package to Peter Lee, competition chair, by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 22.
Applications will be reviewed by the committee and confirmation of acceptance into the competition will be sent by email on Friday, March 29.
All participants qualify for the Epic Mac n’ Cheese Competition Bursary. Bursaries are subject to the student being enrolled in a culinary program offered at the W. Galen Weston Centre for Food at Durham College. Bursaries will be awarded during the student’s second semester of study. Bursary application information will be provided on the day of the competition.