Business Fundamentals (Certificate)
Ontario College Certificate
Ontario College Certificate
Whether you plan on being a marketing guru, accounting whiz or communications expert, it all starts with the basics. Study all aspects of business, develop your skills and explore your options. In this program you will study accounting, business communications, human resources management, marketing, principles of an organization and operations management so you can discover your perfect career fit. You can choose to graduate with a certificate in Business Fundamentals in as little as eight months or continue on with your studies. This program leads right into the second year of all of our business diplomas.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) including Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U) OR
- Grade 12 equivalency certificate achieved through College academic upgrading OR
- Mature Student Status (19 years of age or older) with Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U)
- Equivalent secondary school diploma from another province or territory in Canada (Please note: A recognized equivalent to an OSSD may be accepted if you meet the levels, subjects and overall averages required for admission to the college. Generally the requirement is successful completion of a Grade 12 diploma except in Quebec where the equivalent is Secondary V) or
- Equivalent secondary school diploma from outside of Canada. Applicants who have been educated outside of Canada must have their documents evaluated by a credential assessment service (ICAS) and submit proof of educational qualifications in order to determine if their level of achievement is equivalent to an OSSD. To obtain a Credential Assessment Report visit either ICAS (1.800.321.6021) or WES (1.866.343.0070)
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College.
Program Admission Form Students are required to complete and submit this form to indicate that the program's admission requirements have been met. This form must be submitted prior to registering for your first course.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Develop customer-service strategies to meet the needs of internal and external customers
- Apply knowledge of the human resources function to the operation of an organization
- Apply knowledge of the marketing function to the operation of an organization
- Apply accounting and financial knowledge to the operation of an organization
- Apply computer skills and knowledge of information technology to support the management of an organization
- Work effectively with co-workers, supervisors, and others
- Apply research skills to gather and interpret available information
- Apply creative problem-solving skills to address business problems and opportunities
- Apply time management and organizational skills to facilitate the completion of tasks and to meet deadlines in a business environment
- Recognize the economic, social, political, and cultural variables which impact on a business
As a graduate you will be prepared to pursue further studies in other business programs and/or qualify for entry-level positions in a variety of business-related industries.
Potential industry options may include:
- Educational institutions
- Government ministries and agencies
- Health care facilities
- Large and small businesses and corporations
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Regional offices within government
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.3052
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.