Business - Human Resources (Two-Year Diploma)
Ontario College Diploma
Ontario College Diploma
Human resources (HR) professionals work in partnership with business managers to take care of the company’s largest asset – its employees. To help a business run, HR staff provide advice to department supervisors on a range of employee relations issues; design and deliver a range of programs and services focused on individual and team needs; and create company policies that support and promote a workplace culture based on fairness, equity and personal growth. You will acquire skills in the effective use of industry-standard software and learn from professors who are connected to industry. As a student, you will have the opportunity to interact directly with industry professionals and to participate in hands-on learning opportunities such as case competitions.
As a successful graduate of this program you will qualify for approved credits towards the academic component of the Certified Human Resources Professionals (CHRP) designation granted by the Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario (HRPAO). Students who receive and average grade of 70% in these courses and maintain a minimum grade of 65% in each course meet a portion of the coursework requirements to write the Comprehensive Knowledge Exams – a significant step towards becoming a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP).
Please visit www.hrpa.ca for full details.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) including Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U) OR
- Grade 12 equivalency certificate achieved through College academic upgrading OR
- Mature Student Status (19 years of age or older) with Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U)
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College.
Program Admission Form Students are required to complete and submit this form to indicate that the program's admission requirements have been met. This form must be submitted prior to registering for your first course.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at email@example.com or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, and retention of employees
- Participate in performance management processes
- Participate in the planning, delivery, and evaluation of employee orientation, training, and development programs
- Contribute to an organization's success through effective employee relations
- Assist with the administration and communication of the organization’s total compensation plan
- Participate in organizational health and safety policies and practices
- Apply current and emerging information technologies to support the human resources function
- Implement organizational development strategies aimed at promoting organizational effectiveness
- Communicate human resources information accurately and credibly in oral, written, and graphic form
- Plan and act on personal professional development plans to achieve ongoing competence in human resources professional practice
- Identify the human resources component of a business plan
- Assist in the collection and analysis of human resources data
Potential career and industry options may include:
- Compensation and benefits coordinator
- Coordinator of volunteer resources
- Executive search associate
- Human resources assistant
- Occupational health and safety associate
- Recruiter and staffing coordinator
- Training coordinator
- Community health agencies
- Educational institutions
- Employment agencies
- Municipal or provincial government offices
- Manufacturing companies
- Telecommunications companies
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.2000, ext. 2161 or 3776
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.