Durham College Certificate
Durham College offers an Interior Decorating Certificate, recognized by the Decorator & Designers Association of Canada (DDA Canada), focusing on residential interior decorating. We make it easy for you to learn more about decorating, or to study for that new career by providing part-time classes during the evening.
Interior decorators can work part-time or full-time and can earn a good income. You will gain satisfaction by making your creative vision into a reality. You can help businesses, homeowners and apartment renters to beautify their spaces or you can exercise your creativity by working on specialty projects like yachts, bed and breakfasts and day spas.
A trained interior decorator can also work as part of a bigger design team in areas of architect's offices, interior design offices, engineering offices, property management offices, retailers, boutique stores, restaurants, art galleries and museums, hotels, condominium corporations, model homes and home builder's decor studios.
Students currently enrolled in this program are invited to apply for student membership. Graduates of the program are invited to apply for accredited membership on the Decorator & Designers Association website.
For more information on interior decorating, visit the Canadian Decorators' Association website www.ddacanada.com
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) OR
- Grade 12 equivalency certificate achieved through College academic upgrading OR
- Mature Student Status (19 years of age or older)
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Prepare and present professional decorating plans that meet client needs within a variety of residential settings by integrating knowledge of materials and finishes, design principles, colour theory, lighting applications, furniture history, project budgeting and current trends
- Prepare and present design boards that utilize manual drafting and drawing, computer-aided illustration, and other 2D and 3D illustration/presentation techniques as appropriate
- Apply effective business practices to client interactions, promotion, marketing and sales activities, and small business management tasks
- Collaborate with appropriate industry professionals which may include vendors, contractors, building professionals, and other design specialists
- Apply creativity and current trends to all aspects of a design project
Potential career and industry options may include:
- Architect offices
- Boutique stores
- Condominium corporations
- Decor studios
- Engineering offices
- Galleries and museums
- Interior design offices
- Model/builder homes
- Property management offices
- Retail stores
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.3052
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.