Legal Office Assistant (Certificate)
Durham College Certificate
Durham College Certificate
The legal administrative assistant is an essential part of today's law office team. The program will equip you with skills required to effectively perform the duties required of those employed in a legal administration environment.
You will study legal office procedures, legal terminology, court systems, legal record keeping, bookkeeping, billing clients and the preparation, filing and service of legal documents in the areas of wills and estates, family law, litigation, corporate law and real estate. In addition, you will build proficiency in keyboarding, law accounting software and a variety of computer programs.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) OR
- Grade 12 equivalency certificate achieved through College academic upgrading OR
- Mature Student Status (19 years of age or older)
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at email@example.com or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Demonstrate the use of specialized legal terminology
- Apply ethical rules related to the legal profession
- Locate and manage data and information from a variety of electronic and paper sources
- Prepare, manage, and maintain legal documents and correspondence for civil litigation, corporate, criminal, family, real estate and estate law
- Edit legal paperwork
- Use legal terminology and apply recording, transcription and language skills to produce accurate legal correspondence and employment related documents
- Use effective interpersonal skills in the workplace to assist the completion of individual and team tasks and to promote the image of the organization
- Use profession-relevant mathematics, specialized law accounting software and computer applications
Potential career and industry options may include:
- Legal Administrative Assistant
- Legal Office Assistant
- Trade and professional associations
- Law Firms
- Court Registry offices
- Corporate legal departments
- Financial organizations
- Government offices and agencies
- Insurance companies
- Notary Public offices
- Private industry
- Real estate offices
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.3052
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.