Medical Transcriptionist (Certificate)
Durham College Certificate
Durham College Certificate
Focusing on elements of medical science, communication skills and transcription techniques, this program will help you develop the theoretical and practical knowledge required to meet the needs of the medical community.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) including Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U) OR
- Grade 12 equivalency certificate achieved through College academic upgrading OR
- Mature Student Status (19 years of age or older) with Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U)
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Manage the scheduling, coordination and organization of tasks and workflow within specific deadlines and according to set priorities
- Complete patient appointments and care records manually and electronically
- Use effective interpersonal skills and client centred service to respond to diversity and to meet individual, team, and organizational needs
- Record and transcribe client information and records using medical terminology and computer technology
- Complete accurate medical financial information and billing documents using established document formats and procedures
- Contribute to effective working relationships and to the achievement of team assignment goals
- Transcribe orders and client records using accurate drug information and names including generic and trade names
- Apply professional, ethical and legal standards to support effective health information management and coordination of communication
Potential career and industry options may include:
- Medical clinics
- Physician's office
- Online transcription companies
- Ministry of Health Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan
- Medical supply companies
- Radiology departments
- Insurance companies
- Medical libraries
- Private transcription companies
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.3052
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.