Canadian Red Cross First Responder - is targeted at identified first responders and those wishing to become first responders (firefighters, athletic therapists/trainers, 911 dispatch, patient transfer, rescue, etc.). The course provides a professional level first aid and Basic Life Support CPR and includes techniques for sustaining life, preventing further injuries, and ongoing care of patients until further care arrives.
- The Professional Responder
- Responding to the call
- Infection prevention and control
- Anatomy and physiology
- Airway management and respiratory emergencies
- Circulatory emergencies
- Hemorrhage and soft tissue trauma
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Chest, abdominal and pelvic injuries
- Head and spinal injuries
- Acute and chronic illnesses
- Environmental illnesses
- Pregnancy, labour and delivery
- Special populations
- Crisis intervention
- Reaching, lifting and extricating patients
- Multiple-casualty incidents
Canadian Red Cross Emergency Care for Professional
Responders Reference Text
- Successfully demonstrate the required skills
- Minimum 75% mark for written, closed book, knowledge evaluation
- Successfully complete minimum of one practical scenario
- Attend and participate in 100% of the course
October 21 to 25
9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Please call 905.721.3000.
ADDITIONAL 40 HOUR "BRIDGE COURSE" (Recommended)
This course allows currently certified First Responders to upgrade to the EMR level.