Canada has an aging population. Mental health illness in a given year increases as of age 69 and currently, men aged 80 and older have the highest suicide rates in Canada.
The two day Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Seniors course addresses this demographic trend and aims to teach members of the public, including caregivers, how to:
- Recognize the symptoms of mental health problems or crises as they develop in seniors
- Provide initial help when dealing with a mental health problem or crisis
- Decrease stigma and discrimination around mental health problems and illnesses
- Guide a senior and/or caregiver toward appropriate professional help
- Provide strategies and resources to support both seniors and their caregivers
MHFA Seniors is an adaptation of the MHFA Basic course that is intended to increase the capacity of seniors, families (informal caregivers), friends, staff in care settings and communities to promote mental health in seniors, prevent mental illness and suicide wherever possible in seniors and intervene early when problems first emerge.
- Caregivers, Substance Related Disorders, Mood Related Disorders, Anxiety Related Disorders, Dementia, Delirium, Psychosis
Crisis first aid skills for the following situations are learned:
- Substance overdose, Suicidal behavior, Panic attack, Acute stress reaction, Psychotic episode
Presenter: Dr. Jennifer Laffier, is a therapist and Professor with over 20 years working in the mental health field. She has presented nationally and internationally on topics of mental health, youth, interventions and treatments and education. She is a certified Mental Health First Aid Trainer from the Mental Health Commission of Canada and trained in Trauma Counseling, CBT Therapy, Crisis Intervention and Emotional Intelligence.
Location:Oshawa campus, Room JW201
Saturday, November 10 & Sunday, November 11, 2018
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Cost: Current DC student - $110 plus HST
Alumni or public - $150 plus HST
To register, call 905.721.3000 and have the course code (CRN) and your credit card ready.