What is the Part-time Faculty Orientation program?
Part-time faculty orientation (previously known as Jumpstart) is a two day professional development opportunity designed to introduce you to teaching and learning at Durham College. The focus of the session will be an opportunity to actively participate in part-time faculty orientation – a program that introduces you to instructional strategies, curriculum, assessments, and learning technology. It is designed to give new teachers the information and experience to begin in the classroom. It is taught by modelling our philosophy of active and collaborative learning.
Enjoy your introduction to teaching and learning at Durham College! It’s a great place to work and we’re happy to have you join us!
At the completion of this two day program, faculty will have had the opportunity to:
- Review Durham College academic policies;
- Increase their understanding of curriculum and its meaning to their courses;
- Participate in active learning strategies;
- Examine appropriate assessment tools;
- Explore foundational DC Connect skills; and
- Enhance their value to Durham College.
2019-2020 Part-time Faculty Orientation Winter Dates
When registering, please choose ONE of the following two options.
- Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Rm. C246 (Gordon Willey), Oshawa Campus
- Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Rm. SW201 (Gordon Willey), Oshawa Campus
- Saturday, January 4, 2020 - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Rm. C246 (Gordon Willey), Oshawa Campus
- Sunday, January 5, 2020 - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Rm. SW201 (Gordon Willey), Oshawa Campus
- Thursday, January 9, 2020 - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Rm. B232 (Gordon Willey), Oshawa Campus
- Friday, January 10, 2020 - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Rm. SW101A (Gordon Willey), Oshawa Campus
NOTE: When registering online, please remember to select the appropriate dates as outlined above.
Registering for Part-time Faculty Orientation
You will require a Banner ID to register for the program. If you do not have a Banner ID, please contact your Associate Dean for information and processing.
To register for the program, please visit our online registration form online registration form.
Once you have submitted the registration form, you will receive a confirmation email. Closer to the date of the session you are attending, you will receive another email from the CAFE that will provide additional communication and resources for your participation in the program.
For new part-time faculty participating in the orientation program, you are able to park at no cost. Parking is available in the Commencement Lot. The lot entrance will have a gate that rises once you take a ticket. During part-time faculty orientation, you will receive an additional "chaser" ticket. As you exit the parking lot, you will be required to insert the original parking ticket followed by the chaser ticket.
NOTE: If you park in the Pay-and-Display area, you will be required to purchase your own ticket and, unfortunately, Durham College will not be able to reimburse you.
For detailed parking information, including map, please visit the Durham College Web site.
New faculty should review Policy Primer for Faculty which is a subset of the policies at Durham that are more likely to directly affect faculty.