As part of our In This Together DC email series, today’s update will provide you with details about ongoing activities in the Career Development office.
The Career Development office continues to shift and pivot our way through the evolving COVID-19 climate. We understand that these are challenging times for our students, alumni, employers and job seekers globally.
Over the past few months, we have been developing and adjusting our communication and resources to support our community, as follows:
- Creation of a COVID-19 resource page on the Hired portal which includes links to job matching portals, grants/benefits, and volunteering opportunities.
- Weekly webinars covering topics such as job search strategies, LinkedIn, networking in a virtual world, resumes, cover letters, and virtual interviews.
- A visual summary of job postings on the Hired portal, featuring both company names and position titles on our Instagram.
- Unlimited virtual and telephone career development coaching appointments.
- Weekly emails sent to all full-time students and new graduates providing small and actionable steps to help them successfully launch their careers.
- Updated Employer Resource page which includes COVID-19 specific government funding available for employers to hire students, as well as our own Durham College supports.
- Established a rapid response team who monitor both the firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com inboxes seven days a week to promptly respond and share essential service job opportunities.
- Continue to post job leads for free on the Hired portal.
- Piloting virtual recruitment events with our essential service employer partners while developing plans for virtual recruitment in the fall term.
- Our in-class workshops are now virtual and accessible in a variety of ways including:
- Live workshops via MS Teams or Bongo.
- Pre-recorded presentations that can be uploaded to DC Connect.
- The Career Development Faculty Toolkit has been updated with new and relevant resources.
Finally, the Hired portal has been upgraded and has a new look and feel – we encourage you to take a look! The portal continues to offer online career resources, job postings, one-to-one appointment bookings, recruitment events and faculty resources.
To stay up to date regarding upcoming virtual recruitment events, webinars, tips, articles and career-focused COVID-19 announcements, we encourage staff, faculty and students to follow (and promote) our hashtag #GetHiredDC on Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn. If you have any questions, ideas or thoughts, we invite you to contact our outreach co-ordinator, Jennifer Powell via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although there is still much uncertainty, it has been astonishing to see how our college community has come together to continue our focus on student success. Together we will continue to lead the way.
Interim director, Career Development and Co-operative Education