The best way to help them to understand your student experience is to involve them and provide them with information. You can:
- Encourage them to visit the Parent and Family section of the website; and
- Request a parent and family calendar to offer your family member.
There are many people at Durham College that you can turn to for support starting with the first generation student co-ordinator.
This initiative provides services to FG students to enhance their learning and development and support their continued success while at Durham College.
The first generation student co-ordinator:
- Answers questions about the college experience
- Offers e-mentoring
- Provides information sharing and the facilitation of connections with on-campus resources, and
- Supports parents and family members with information to support their student.
A “first generation” student is a student whose parent(s)/guardian(s) has/have not attended post-secondary studies. If their siblings have attended a post-secondary institution but their parent(s)/guardian(s) have not, they are still considered a first generation student.