Become a field placement host
The 420-hour field placement in Durham College’s (DC) Honours Bachelor of Health Care Technology Management (BHCTM) degree program helps students develop in-depth knowledge and skills required to optimally manage medical technology in health care. Students may be placed in a community hospital, with a medical device manufacturer, regulatory agency, Local Health Integration Network (LHIN), or similar organization.
Becoming a field placement host allows you to positively influence the next cohort of resilient, job-ready graduates so that they can effectively work within the community you serve.
What are the benefits of being a field placement host?
This is an opportunity to meet, train and consider a potential future employee. Students arrive for their field placement eager to work and apply their classroom training in a real-world setting.
This is also an opportunity to mentor and supervise an aspiring professional and provide them with a meaningful experience, which can be a new source of esteem and motivation within the workplace for your current staff.
WHAT DOES A FIELD PLACEMENT HOST DO?
Typically, field placement hosts provide:
- On-the-job training in an encouraging and supportive learning environment.
- Meaningful and relevant tasks to complete.
- Clear instructions and availability to answer questions.
- Ongoing constructive feedback.
STUDENTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO DEMONSTRATE COMPETENCY IN A RANGE OF AREAS RELATED TO:
- General business practices
- Life sciences
- Medical electronics
- Professionalism and ethics
- Working in a clinical environment
THERE ARE MANY WAYS OUR PLACEMENT STUDENTS COULD HELP YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS. A FEW EXAMPLES, INCLUDE:
- Working with department supervisors and clinical engineers on projects related to new medical equipment acquisition, installation, renovation, modification or removal.
- Researching emerging technology trends.
- Evaluating existing medical equipment and related systems with respect to age, condition and technological status to determine value.
- View all examples
WHAT DOES THE COLLEGE PROVIDE FOR THE FIELD PLACEMENT HOST?
Each field placement student in the BHCTM program is assigned an on-campus representative from DC who oversees their placement to ensure that they are meeting all of the required components in order to pass. In addition, a student placement advisor will act as a liaison between the field placement host, the student and the college, providing direction and support for the field placement host as needed.
Please note: all students will be required to complete mandatory work training certificates prior to starting their unpaid field placement and will have Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB) coverage through the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU).