Paying for college

There are a number of options available to you that can help you pay for college. These include:

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) loans

You may receive OSAP money if the college you are attending is approved for student loan purposes and you are taking at least 60 per cent of a full-time program (40 per cent if you have a disability). Durham College qualifies for funding through OSAP.

OSAP recommends that you apply as early as possible and no later than 10 weeks before classes begin to allow sufficient processing time.

Online process:

  • Applications are available on the OSAP website 
  • No application fee required
  • Information about the status of your application will generally be available 48 hours after you submit it
  • If you are approved, you’ll get a portion of your loan at the beginning of your study period and the rest about halfway through.

Here are some other things to consider with OSAP:

  • Child-care Bursary Plan: This non-repayable bursary is designed to assist students who have child-care costs for three or more children.
  • Assistance for part-time students: Check the OSAP website for loans available for part-time studies.
  • Repaying your loan: OSAP offers a number of programs to help you manage and repay your loans. Go to  for more information.

Bank loans and lines of credit

Several banks have products that are specifically designed for students enrolled in post-secondary education. This option is worth investigating because interest rates and payback periods will vary from OSAP loans.

Bursaries, scholarships and awards

Government and private organizations, corporations and community-based agencies often offer special bursaries, scholarships, grants and awards that do not need to be repaid! These can be based on academic performance, financial need or many other requirements.

Durham College offers numerous scholarships, bursaries and awards that students should investigate to supplement the costs of attending college. 

If you are applying for funding through the Second Career program ensure you check with the Ministry to confirm you are eligible to apply. 

Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC)

Support from the government is provided to individuals who are going back to school for further training and upgrading. Please check the HRDC website at  for more information.