Visas and Permits


To attend Durham College, you will need to apply for and be granted a study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) You can get help with your paper application at your nearest visa application centre (VAC)


Your Study Permit needs to remain valid while you are studying in Canada A study permit allows you to remain in Canada until the expiration date listed on it.  It does not permit entry into Canada.  For entry into Canada you may require a eTA or a temporary resident visa.

If you need to extend your study permit it is easy to do. You will need to request an enrolment letter from the International Office and may need to scan in a copy of your transcripts.  Then you will need to follow the instructions on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.  Please come to the International office if you have any questions. You can order a transcript one of the following ways:

  1. Online through MyCampus:
    • Log into your MyCampus
    • Helpful links on the right hand side
    • Student Records
    • Request printed official transcript
    • Follow the steps
  2. Email request to or
  3. Mail a transcript request form to Durham College Strategic Enrolment Services or Whitby Enrolment Services
  4. In person at the Student Services Building (Oshawa) or Enrolment Services at the Whitby Campus


If your program has a Coop or Field placement you will need to have a coop work permit alongside your Study permit. If you were not issued one when you received your study permit please come see or email Sarah Edwards in the International Office for the letter to apply for a coop work permit. Then you can apply online through the IRCC website