Mathematics For I.T.
This course introduces the students the business math and logic fundamentals required in the information Technology (IT) industry. Practical problems in Mathematics for IT to build a solid foundation in the Mathematical skills that are used in the number of Areas such as Networking, Systems Administration, Programming, Database Management, Web Programming and Computer Repair. The main topics covered in this course are listed below:
• Course Outline and SALS (Student Academic Learning Services)
• Mathematics fundamentals (Review of Arithmetic, Algebra, Ratio and Proportion)
• Computer Math (Number Systems: Decimal, Binary, Octal and Hexadecimal; Binary Codes: BCD, ASCII, EBCDIC and UNICODE; Digital Technology Metrics: Bits, Bytes, KB, MB, GB and TB and Binary Arithmetic)
• Business Management (Averages, GPA, CGPA and Simple Interest)
• Financial Management (Payroll, Taxes, Exchange Rates, Discounts, Invoice with Payment Terms, Markup, Markdown, Compound Interest, Mortgages, Loans, Amortization and Cost Management)
• Other topics (Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences, Functions, Graphs, Factorial, Recursion and Statistics)
• Computer Logic (Truth Tables, Basic Logic gates, Boolean Expressions and Boolean Algebra)
This course emphasizes problems in Business, Digital and Information Technology. The students are taught how to solve the Mathematical problems with the use of Electronic Calculator and Electronic Spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel). The students connect to SALS (Student Academic Learning Services) to review and improve basic Math skills.