Durham College (DC) and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) have partnered to create DC’s Student Success Pathway - General Arts and Science Success (GASS) program. Designed to help students strengthen their fundamental academic skills and life management strategies, this program has been developed for eligible first-year UOIT students who have been notified of their academic suspension. Students successfully completing semester one (May to August) will be able to return to UOIT in the fall.
Students will have the opportunity to better prepare for future academic success by completing four core courses and two electives focused on a variety of essential skills. These include critical thinking, goal setting, communications, academic writing, note taking, test preparation and time- and self-management skills.
Students will take four core courses and two electives. The four core courses are:
- Fundamentals of Academic Success.
- Fundamentals of Personal Communication.
- Fundamentals of Interpersonal Communication.
- A math course from two options depending on what UOIT stream students are in.
The two electives will be determined by the student and their UOIT academic advisor.
Upon successful completion of semester one, students:
- Will have a reduced suspension sentence and be able to apply for readmission to their UOIT program at an earlier date for a September start (students must maintain a 70 per cent average with no individual course grade below 65 to be eligible).
- May be eligible to earn a General Arts and Science certificate in conjunction with the continuation of their university degree.
Please note: This program is for qualified first year UOIT students only. Limited space is available and seats will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Students must contact their UOIT academic advisor to determine their eligibility to enroll in the GASS program.
Frequently asked questions
For more information please refer to the General Arts and Science - Student Success Pathways FAQs.