NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific laptop and software requirements for this program click here.
One of the top 10, in-demand professions in Canada.
If you like to write then you'll love this program! This fast-track, three-year diploma program, which is delivered over two calendar years, focuses on effective communication strategies in the public relations industry. In this growth business our grads are highly sought after and enjoy a wide range of career opportunities.
Consider the fact that Forbes’ list of 25 Most Successful Jobs for Millennials listed Public Relations Manager and Public Relations Specialist as two of them.
Public relations (PR) practitioners must be versatile and skilled writers and speakers as they help people and organizations explain who they are, what they do and why they do it.
You will develop your writing and editing skills for electronic and print media as well as your practical skills in a workshop setting with a not-for-profit agency for a one day a week field placement, and gain hands-on training in Accessibility standards and compliance. You will also write and produce Reflections, Durham College's award-winning alumni magazine.
Your hands-on skills will be refined through organizing and executing a media conference. Students’ event plan and fundraise for an international field trip during their second year. Examples include: Washington, Chicago and Boston. Travelling to another country provides students with a wide range of real-world connections through professional development sessions and networking with industry professionals.
After completing your course work you will also gain hands-on industry experience working on placement in a corporate PR office.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Coordinate and contribute to the planning of public relations activities, including the development of clear, measurable communication objectives and project or tactical budgets and selection of strategies, tactics, tools and resources, to manage a range of stakeholder relationships and support organizational objectives.
- Coordinate and contribute to the implementation of strategies and tactics and the management of budgets and resources for a range of public relations activities to achieve communication objectives and meet activity guidelines and requirements.
- Write and edit clear, accurate, targeted copy aligned to organizational objectives, appropriate for the chosen channel(s) and to a specified deadline.
- Apply visual, audio, multimedia and interactive elements, fundamental design principles and accessibility standards, independently and collaboratively, to enhance the production of effective, timely communications appropriate for diverse channels and audiences.
- Select information sources, research tools and results, and apply analytical skills to guide the development of communication objectives, selection of strategies and tactics and evaluation of the impact of public relations activities.
- Engage stakeholders by adapting language, tone and presentation style to the public relations purpose, situation, audience and channel(s).
- Comply with and support others to work in accordance with relevant professional association and industry codes of ethics, public relations professional standards and practices, and legal obligations, protocols and policies.
- Keep current with emerging social and economic trends, and local, national and global issues to enhance public relations plans and activities, support organizational effectiveness and stakeholder* relationships, and guide ongoing personal professional development.
- Select and use current and emerging technologies to enhance the quality and delivery of public relations activities and support organizational effectiveness.
- Select strategies and tools to build and maintain professional relationships to support public relations activities, organizational objectives and career development.