CAMPUS EMERGENCY PROCEDURE
Procedure title:Building Failure
Effective date: May 2014
Revision date: May 2016
This procedure provides direction to the campus community when responding to an incident or emergency that may threaten the institution’s processes, the safety of its employees and students, or the facility itself.
Power outage refers to a loss of power to a room, building or an entire campus, that impacts the day-to-day operations of Durham College or UOIT, or poses a threat to the health, safety or security of those affected.
Elevator failure refers to any elevator that is not functioning to its regulated standard, and therefore poses a threat to the health, safety or security of its passengers.
Watermain break refers to any damage to a water main that causes flooding, or otherwise poses a threat to the well-being of those on campus.
In the event of a power outage:
- During regular business hours, immediately notify Facilities at ext. 3333 or 905.721.3333 from an external phone;
- After business hours, notify Campus Security at ext. 2400 or 905.721.3211 from an external line;
- If phones are not available, contact security at the main help desk;
- Turn off all light switches;
- Set all equipment and appliance switches to the off position. This is to protect against kicking out the circuit breakers, blowing fuses, or damaging equipment when the full surge or current hits as the power comes back on;
- Take measures to protect your equipment or experiments. Remember that air operated controls and water pressure may be affected;
- Extinguish all flames in laboratory settings;
- Increase ventilation by opening windows. If the failure lasts more than a few minutes, it will be necessary to evacuate persons from darkened areas (restroom, stairwells or other areas with no windows or natural lighting);
- Report all persons trapped in elevators to Campus Security at ext. 2400 or 905.721.3211;
- Any decision to evacuate will be made after careful consideration by the Emergency Management Response Team;
- If it becomes necessary to evacuate the premises during a blackout, be sure to protect all valuables and make sure that all equipment is safe when the power comes back on; and
- When there is a power failure, do not use the elevator.
In the event you are trapped in an elevator during a failure, use the emergency phone in the elevator to contact Campus Security at ext. 2400 or 905.721.3211. Security will dispatch the necessary responders to assist you.
If you notice an elevator that is not functioning properly and there is no signage that indicates it as such, call Campus Security at ext. 2400 or 905.721.3211 and inform them of the stoppage. Security will be able to post a sign to inform others regarding the issue and notify the appropriate responders.
In the event of a watermain break:
- Do not walk through the stream or puddles;
- Move to an unaffected and safe area;
- Between regular business hours contact Facilities at ext. 3333 or 905.721.3333; or
- After hours, contact Campus Security at ext. 2400 or 905.721.3211.
In the event of an injury:
In the event an injury occurs, please contact your immediate supervisor to inform him or her of the incident. Next, you or your supervisor must fill out an Accident/Incident Report Form.
For Durham College employees, the form can be located on the employee intranet, ICE, under Forms, then Human Resources, and Accident, Injury. For more information, please refer to the Durham College Accident Reporting Procedure (EMPL-301.1), also located on ICE.
UOIT employees can access the form through the UOIT.ca website. On the homepage, click Faculty and Staff, then Campus Services, and Health and Safety. For more information, please refer to the Accident Reporting Procedure, which is located on the UOIT.ca website.
Authority and responsibilities
The Emergency Management Response Team (EMRT) and the Office of Campus Safety will be responsible for enforcing and communicating these procedures to staff and students.
Faculty, staff, and students will be responsible for taking direction from the appropriate authorities and contributing to a safe and secure environment.
Durham College and UOIT Emergency Preparedness Plan & Policy
Durham College Emergency Preparedness Policy ADMIN-211
Durham College Accident Reporting Procedure EMPL-301.1
UOIT Accident Reporting Procedure