CAMPUS EMERGENCY PROCEDURE
Procedure title:Explosion or Downed Aircraft Procedure
Effective date: May 2014
Revision date: May 2016
This procedure provides direction to the campus community when responding to an incident or emergency that may threaten the institution’s processes, the safety of its employees and students, or the facility itself.
The Durham College and UOIT north Oshawa campus is located near the Oshawa Airport, making an emergency plan and procedure for downed aircrafts and explosions imperative, even if the incident rate is low.
Small single or twin-engine aircrafts or helicopters usually affect a relatively small area upon impact. Fire, if any, resulting from a crash is usually of short duration and quickly extinguished. By contrast, a commercial airliner crash could result in a path of fire and destruction that is significantly larger. Fire tends to be very intense with large amounts of smoke.
In the event of an explosion or downed aircraft:
- Immediately take cover under tables, desks and other objects, which will give protection from falling debris.
- After the effects of the explosion and/or fire has subsided, contact security at ext. 2400 or 905.721.3211. Give your name and describe the location and nature of the emergency. Campus Security will notify the local Fire Department and any other necessary authorities.
- If necessary, or when directed to do so, activate the fire alarm.
- When the fire alarm is sounded, evacuate the building in accordance with the fire plan for your location.
- Assist any disabled persons in exiting the building or going to designated safety zones. In the event of a fire, do not use elevators.
- Once outside, move to a clear area that is a safe distance from the affected crash zone. Keep roads and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a college or university official.
In the event of an injury:
In the event an injury occurs, please contact your immediate supervisor to inform her or him of the incident. Next, you or your supervisor must fill out an Accident/Incident Report Form.
For Durham College employees, the form can be located on the employee intranet, ICE, under Forms, then Human Resources, and Accident, Injury. For more information, please refer to the Durham College Accident Reporting Procedure (EMPL-301.1), also located on ICE.
UOIT employees can access the form through the UOIT.ca website. On the homepage, click Faculty and Staff, then Campus Services, and Health and Safety. For more information, please refer to the Accident Reporting Procedure, which is located on the UOIT.ca website.
Authority and responsibilities
The Emergency Management Response Team (EMRT) and the Office of Campus Safety will be responsible for enforcing and communicating these procedures to staff and students.
Faculty, staff, and students will be responsible for taking direction from the appropriate authorities and contributing to a safe and secure environment.
Durham College and UOIT Emergency Preparedness Plan & Policy
Durham College Emergency Preparedness Policy ADMIN-211
Durham College Accident Reporting Procedure EMPL-301.1
UOIT Accident Reporting Procedure