CAMPUS EMERGENCY PROCEDURE
Procedure title:Vehicle Accident
Effective date: May 2014
Revision date: May 2016
This procedure provides direction to the campus community when responding to an incident or emergency that may threaten the institution’s processes, the safety of its employees and students, or the facility itself.
A vehicle accident refers to any incident involving vehicles that occur on campus, or close enough to campus that the incident poses a threat to the health and safety of those on campus. The incident can range from minor damage to property, to a collision that injures or threatens the lives of those involved.
In the event a vehicle accident occurs on campus property:
- Contact Campus Security at ext. 2400 from a campus phone or 905.721.3211 from an external line;
- When contacting Campus Security, be as detailed as possible and inform them of any injuries or damage to property;
- Security will dispatch the Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT) and other external supports (EMS & DRPS) if appropriate/requested, as well security may assist with the flow of traffic and secure the area;
- If you are a witness to the incident, do not leave the scene, as you may be required to give detailed information to Campus Security or other authorities; and
- If safe to do so, secure the area by ensuring every one is a safe distance from the incident.
In the event a vehicle accident occurs off campus, but still poses a threat to the safety and security of those on campus:
- Contact Campus Security at ext. 2400 or 905.721.3211;
- When you contact Campus Security be as detailed as possible and inform them of any injuries or damage to property;
- Security will dispatch the appropriate authorities; and
- If you are a witness to the incident, do not leave the scene, as you may be required to give detailed information to corresponding authorities.
In the event of an injury:
In the event an injury occurs as a result of a workplace accident, please contact your immediate supervisor to inform her or him of the incident. Next, you or your supervisor must fill out an Accident/Incident Report Form.
For Durham College employees, the form can be located on the employee intranet, ICE, under Forms, then Human Resources, and Accident, Injury. For more information, please refer to the Durham College Accident Reporting Procedure (EMPL-301.1), also located on ICE.
UOIT employees can access the form through the UOIT.ca website. On the homepage, click Faculty and Staff, then Campus Services, and Health and Safety. For more information, please refer to the Accident Reporting Procedure, which is located on the UOIT.ca website.
Authority and responsibilities
The Emergency Management Response Team (EMRT) and the Office of Campus Safety will be responsible for enforcing and communicating these procedures to staff and students.
Faculty, staff, and students will be responsible for taking direction from the appropriate authorities and contributing to a safe and secure environment.
Durham College Emergency Preparedness Policy ADMIN-211
Durham College Accident Reporting Procedure EMPL-301.1
UOIT Accident Reporting Procedure
UOIT – Emergency Preparedness