The Thrift Swap is a biannual event hosted by the Residence Life Team and the sustainability offices of the University of Ontario Institute of Technology and Durham College. It is an opportunity for all students and employees to divert items from the landfill by swapping out, donating or recycling them. Items can be dropped off in the lobbies of both Simcoe and South Village Residences.
- Disposable plastic bags
- Non-perishable food items
- Small household appliances
- Used books
- Writing utensils
Clothing and small household appliances will be donated to the Canadian Diabetes Association, non-perishable food items will be donated to the Campus Holiday Food Drive and all other items will be recycled through the proper channels.
Upcoming Thrift Swaps
December 2016 and April 2017
- Campus Market – Hosted in partnership with our campus partner, UOIT, and Aramark’s Eat Local Initiative, the campus market is an annual event that showcases local farms and small businesses.
- Campus Clean-up – Hosted annually every spring in partnership with UOIT, the campus clean-up event is our way of taking part in Earth Day celebrations while making an impact on campus.
- #Muglife – In March of 2016, the Green Team launched a new campaign to help promote awareness around the volume of disposable coffee cups to help encourage the use of reusable coffee mugs on campus.