Smart Commute Program
Durham College (DC) was named a 2016 Smart Commute Silver Workplace in recognition of our ongoing effort to support and promote sustainable travel options for getting to and from campus. The designation was awarded by Smart Commute, a program of Metrolinx and the municipalities in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. It is granted to organizations that provide and promote enhanced commuter options for its people. Using a scorecard, participating organizations are graded on their travel initiatives in categories such as programming, promotions, investments, incentives and infrastructure.
The designation recognizes the college’s various commuting initiatives, including:
- Availability of public transit passes and tickets onsite – A “U-Pass” from Durham Region Transit (DRT) is provided to students as part of their tuition fees, which gives them unlimited free transit seven days a week on all conventional DRT and GO Transit service travel in the Region of Durham.
- Electric vehicle charging stations – DC is one of several partners that participated in the Durham Strategic Energy Alliance’s (DSEA) Electric Vehicle (EV) To Grid program. The program, which launched in November 2011, involved the installation of seven EV charging stations throughout Durham Region, including one at both the Oshawa and Whitby campuses. The DSEA plans to evaluate the impact of several different EVs, including DC’s 2012 Chevrolet Volt, on the smart grid throughout Durham Region.
- Incentives for carpool users – There are 30 designated carpool parking spots with cost sharing incentives.
- On-campus awareness campaigns such as Bike-to-Work Day, Earth Day and Smart Commute Week.
- Personal trip planning/commute counselling.
- Reserved parking for carpool vehicles.
- Secure bicycle parking and shower facilities for those riding to and from campus.