Dos and don’ts
Here are a few ‘dos and don’ts’ to be familiar with before you start your search:
- DO read the Residential Tenancies Act governed by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. It is your responsibility to be familiar with this act and know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
- DO determine how much you can budget for rent per month.
- DON’T forget to include all utility expenses.
- DON’T wait to start your housing search until the last minute so you can ensure you have the best options available.
- DO figure out if you’ll be living alone, with friends or new people.
- DO live with people you trust – everyone you live with needs to be accountable for their share of the rent, utilities and maintenance of the accommodations.
- DO determine everyone’s individual budgets, how you’re going to manage purchasing household necessities before beginning your search to make sure you’re all on the same page.
- DO some research on ideal locations that are close to things like a bus route, the college, and grocery stores. Remember the U-Pass is included in full-time post-secondary tuition so transportation within the Region of Durham is covered.
- DO find out if there’s adequate parking included within the accommodation if you have a car, and make sure to buy a parking pass early for on-campus parking as there are limited spaces available.
- DON’T forget to inspect the property before signing the lease.
- DO give yourself some time to think about signing a lease, you don’t have to make the decision quickly but you should be mindful that the best places are rented quickly so responding to the landlord in a timely manner is always appreciated.