Changing your legal name

Change of Name / Gender Identity form 

If you are unable to access this form, please contact IT Services (905-721-3333 option #1) to have your Network log-in/password reset. 

Please note: complete processing times may take up to 7 - 10 business days. 

Your legal name is the name used on official college documents and records such as:

  • A Verification of enrolment
  • Graduation credentials
  • Graduation letters
  • Academic transcripts

To change your legal name, you must complete and submit online the Change of Name / Gender Identity Update form and provide official documentation.

When submitting the online form, in order for your request to be complete, you will need to submit valid government ID.

Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Birth certificate
  • Change of name certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Passport/other

Preferred Names and Gender Identity Updates

The college recognizes that some students wish to be addressed by a preferred name, or other gender identity. For this reason, the college permits you to designate a preferred name or gender that may be used wherever possible throughout your study period.

To change your preferred name or gender, you must complete and submit online the Change of Name / Gender Identity Update form ..

A preferred name is one by which a student is normally addressed, that is not their legal first name.

For example:

  • A student’s legal first name is Michael, and the student normally goes by Mike. This student’s preferred name is Mike.
  • A transgender student was assigned the name Michael when they were born. This student feels that this name does not reflect their gender identity and prefers to be called Chloe. This student’s preferred name is Chloe.
  • Lovepreet is an international student from India who prefers to be called Kim. This student’s preferred name is Kim.

A preferred name will be shown on:

  • MyDC
  • DC Connect
  • Class lists
  • DC email (if applicable)
  • Microsoft teams
  • Student ID card

Preferred names will not appear on official college documents such as verification letters, transcripts or credentials. You may change, delete or alter your preferred name at any time throughout your study period by again submitting the Change of Name / Gender Identity Update form .

Durham College reserves the right to remove or deny, with or without notice, the use of a preferred name if it is used for inappropriate purposes including, but not limited to, misrepresentation, avoiding legal obligation, or the use of offensive or derogatory language.

Please note it is the student’s responsibility to request a change of name with Ontario Colleges & OSAP.

If you have any questions as you go through the process of changing your preferred name, please contact: