Person taking a picture of a plane at the airport

Preparing for departure

Travel forms

Students who plan to travel outside of Ontario (and Canada) for college-related activities will need to submit the following documents, as well as, complete the following forms:

  1. Request for Student Travel Outside Ontario Form. This form will need to be signed by the appropriate deans and executive team members for approval. The form will also be reviewed by the college’s Office of Risk Management and Insurance
  2. Student Out of Province Travel Policy and Procedures Form
  3. Assumption of Risks and Responsibilities, Waiver of Claims, Release of Liability and Indemnity Agreement Form
  4. Travel Information and Emergency Contact Form
  5. Media Release Form
  6. Copy of the information page of a valid passport
  7. Intercultural measurement tool
  8. Application form expressing interest in the program

*Please note that the link for these forms can be found in each individual subsection as per program requirements and details.

Host country

Before travelling, students should research the local customs and laws of the host country. The Government of Canada Travel and Tourism website has important information and advisories on every country available at Students should read the online report for their destination country prior to their departure. Foreign laws and customs can be very different from Canada, which can result in increased risks when travelling. While travelling outside of Canada, people are subject to and must follow local laws even if they are different than Canadian laws. If a student breaks the law abroad, failure to understand the laws is not an acceptable defense.

Passport and visa

Valid passports are required for all international travel outside of Canada (including the USA). Passports should be valid for at least 6 months following your return date to Canada. Please note that the Government of Canada cannot guarantee your entry or transit through another country if your passport or other Canadian travel document includes the “x” designation for gender. Lost passports should be reported to the nearest Embassy or Consulate.

A visa is an official document, usually stamped or glued inside a passport, giving permission from a foreign authority to enter a country. Visas are issued by foreign government offices in Canada. Requirements, fees and processing times vary, depending on the country and type of visa you need. The most common categories are business, work, student, and tourist visas. It is the responsibility of the student to successfully obtain the proper visa prior to travel. For non-Canadians, visit the appropriate embassy or consulate website for more information.


Students should prepare carefully when travelling abroad to help mitigate health risks. Some common health considerations to prepare for include:

  1. a) Allergies
  2. b) Heartburn
  3. c) Infection and inflammation
  4. d) Insect bites
  5. e) Travel sickness and stomach problems including vomiting and stomach acid

Students should plan ahead and pack some over-the-counter medication and first aid supplies for unexpected health events. Certain countries require specific immunizations for entry.

Medical insurance

All DC students are covered by the travel insurance company Sutton Special Risk through On Call International. For 24/7 worldwide claims and benefits inquiries call 1.800.461.3292 or email

  • Sutton provides medical assistance services including pre-trip planning, emergency medical evacuation, prescription assistance, and medical, dental and pharmacy referrals
  • Sutton also provides travel assistance services such as 24/7 emergency travel arrangements, emergency travel funds assistance and lost/stolen travel documents assistance.
  • The duration of this coverage is up to 60 days. If your DC education abroad experience lasts longer than 60 days you may qualify for coverage under Durham College Student Inc. insurance plan – VIP Insurance. Please contact the International Education Office for more information