Working in Canada

Pantry at CFF(current)

Work part-time

To be able to work in Canada, you must be enrolled full-time and have a valid study permit with specific wording on your study permit that allows you to work. You will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN).  This can be obtained at a Service Canada location. The SIN does not authorize you to work; it allows you to be paid.

On-campus employment

You can work on campus! As an international student, you can work on campus as part of iWorks, a program that provides international students with opportunities for part-time employment. Find out more information, how to apply and the eligibility criteria here.

To search and apply for jobs, go to the Hired Portal at

Off-campus employment

You can work off-campus! As an international student, you can work up to 20 hours per week off campus without a work permit, if you meet all of these requirements:

  • Hold a valid study permit that includes a condition saying you can work off campus;
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • Full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) (Durham College is a DLI);
  • Enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program; 
  • Currently studying;
  • Study program is at least six months long, and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate.

For more information on working while studying, read our handout and visit the Career Development Office.

Stay and work in Canada
If you plan to remain in Canada to work, you may wish to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). A Post‐Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a document that gives you permission to remain in Canada and work full‐time for up to three years (depending on the length of your program) after you graduate from a Canadian post‐secondary institution. You need to have completed all requirements to graduate from a program of at least eight months’ duration to be eligible. For information about applying for a PGWP, read our PGWP handout.