Off-campus employment

You can work off-campus! As an international student, you can work up to 20 hours per week off campus without a work permit, if you meet all of these requirements:

  • Hold a valid study permit that includes a condition saying you can work off campus;
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • Full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) (Durham College is a DLI);
  • Enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program; 
  • Currently studying;
  • Study program is at least six months long, and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate.

For more information on working while studying, read our handout and visit the Career Development Office.