Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

For questions related to Current International Students and how they have been impacted by COVID-19 please visit our COVID-19 Current International Students FAQs webpage.


You can renew your study permit online on

For the detailed information please read our guide on How To Renew Your Study Permit.

Apply to extend your study permit 90 days prior to its expiry.

How to Get an Enrolment Letter?

Verifications of Enrolment (VOE) are available to be printed on MyCampus, under Helpful Links – Student Records – Verification of Enrolment.

Enrolment letters provide proof of your student registration status, and are required for various immigration processes, including when extending your study permit.

If your program has a co-op or placement, internship or practicum, you need to have a co-op work permit. You can verify if it by referring to your Letter of Acceptance (LOA). This information is reflected in box 24.

To check if your program has a field placement or internship, review the program webpageYou can also check here to see if your program has a different type of work term. 

You are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work term. Read more about working as a cop-op/placement/internship/practicum student here

If you were not issued a co-op work permit when you received your study permit, please contact us for a letter you will need to apply for a co-op work permit. Remember to include your name and student number in your email.

One of our international student advisors will guide you through the co-op application process. You can then apply online on the IRCC website. Processing times for co-op work permits are long and can take a few months to process. You should apply as early as possible!

For further information, including detailed information on how to apply, read our Co-op Work Permit handout.

If you need to extend your study permit as well, you should apply for your Co-op work permit at the same time.

If you plan to remain in Canada to work after your studies, you may wish to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

A Post‐Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a document that gives you permission to remain in Canada and work full‐time for up to three years (depending on the length of your program) after you graduate from a Canadian post‐secondary institution. You need to have completed all requirements to graduate from a program of at least eight months’ duration to be eligible. For information about applying for a PGWP, read our PGWP-handout or reach out to if you get stuck!

The International Education office also provides monthly ‘Immigration in Canada’ workshops to help guide students through this process.

You may watch the PGWP Walk Through-Workshop Recording here::

If you have extended your stay as a visitor OR extended your study permit, include the submission confirmation letter of these extensions in your PGWP application.

Official transcripts are available by completing the Transcript Request form and then send the fillable PDF through email to or  Please allow 2 – 3 weeks to process.


  • an official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program (for Durham College graduates, this is your Verification of Graduation Letter)
  • an official transcript

See IRCC’s website for more details.

Current and alumni can obtain a copy of their graduation status(es) at Durham College. This official letter can be accessed at any time on MyDC here and will provide you with a confirmation that you have fulfilled the requirements of your program, whether you have just begun your program, have applied to graduate or have successfully graduated from your program. You can provide this letter to another academic institution for admission, for employment or PGWP (international students) purposes.

When your graduation is confirmed, your letter will state “Awarded.” If your letter states “Pending” or “Sought,” your graduation status is not yet confirmed.

Summer graduates can expect their graduation letters in the Fall (October). Fall graduates can expect their graduation letters in the Winter (February). Please don’t forget to apply for graduation, check the deadline to apply with your school office, Apply to graduate | Durham College.

  1. Go to
  2. Login using your username and password
  3. Select the "DC Home" tab
  4. View "Helpful Links - Student Records"
  5. Select "Verification of Graduation Letter"
  6. Click "Submit"
  7. Click the PDF link "Verification of Graduation Status" to open the Verification of Graduation letter

If you have any questions regarding the status of your letter, please contact us by completing the form

During regular school semesters:  

You can work up to 20 hours per week off campus. If you are employed at Durham College you may work 12 hours per week on campus (in addition to 20 hours per week off campus).

During scheduled breaks in the school year:

You can work full-time if you are on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You are free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours.

You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time.

You cannot work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester.

If your study permit does not have work conditions on it:

If you are eligible to work off campus, you can contact IRCC to request these conditions added. This is called an Amendment to your Study Permit. There is no fee to add these conditions to your study permit.

You willl need to request an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN from Service Canada.

A SIN is a 9 digit number that you will apply for from the  Government of Canada. You need a SIN to work in Canada. To apply for a SIN, you must be in Canada and have 1 of these conditions printed on your study permit:

  • May work 20 hours per week off campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in paragraph 186(v)of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria, per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w)and must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

For more information on how to get your SIN number please visit

As soon as you receive a confirmation letter that you have been approved for a study permit, please let us know: Visa Status Form.

For more information on how to get your biometrics done visit

  • Get assistance with visas, study permit, work permit, Co-op work permit, Post-Graduation work permit (PGWP) applications, Health Care, Housing, and Taxes
  • Learn and understand your health insurance coverage in Canada
  • Answer any of your questions about academic and student life
  • Provide housing resources and support
  • Help with transitioning to life in Canada and your new home at DC!

Contact us at . We are available online from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, EST Monday to Friday.

Yes, you can submit the conditional letter of acceptance which outlines conditions that have to be met for unconditional admission for a study permit. For example, you must take an English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FRSL) course before being admitted to your program.

For more information on immigration opportunities visit Immigrate to Canada web page.

How to Apply

Your applications process consists of eight important steps:

  1. Choose a program
  2. Check your program requirements on the program page
  3. Check your country requirements and also English language score requirements if applicable here
  4. Upload your documents and apply
  5. Check your application status on MyCampus portal
  6. Accept your program and confirm your seat
  7. Receive your LOA to apply for your study permit and your visa on the IRCC website, Study permit: How to apply -
  8. Prepare to travel to Canada

More detailed information on How to Apply can be found on our DC website.

It is useful to know all the deadlines for your documents’ submissions and fees. Track the important dates of your semester as well! You can find all of this information on our Important Dates page that renews constantly.

To see the full list of programs available for international students visit our International Programs page.

To find the information about the requirements for applicants from different countries visit Country Admissions Information page.

If you country is not listed please see the general admission requirements or contact the International Education Office. Please also check English Proficiency Requirements.

Due to COVID-19, Durham College is temporarily accepting online English Language Proficiency test for admissions purposes only. Students can complete the tests online from the safety of their home computer:

Duolingo English Test (DET)

To find more information visit English Language Requirements page.

If you are a first semester student – contact to change your program. If you are a returning student, contact

To accept your offer and pay your fees, please follow the steps below:

  1. Please click this link to visit our: International self-service portal
  2. Select 'Check status of application' under Helpful Links on the left-hand side of the page, or you can click the green Check Application Status box.
  3. You will be prompted to log in (login information was sent in your 'Welcome' email).
  4. View, print and save your official Letter of Acceptance by clicking on the PDF icon beside your letter located in the 'Correspondence' section.
  5. Select 'Accept Offer & Pay Fees / Decline Offer.'
  6. Follow all of the steps to accept/confirm your offer and then continue on to 'Pay Fees' section.
  7. Select 'Make a Payment' to pay by Credit Card, or FlyWire wire payments.
  8. Please select the 'First Term' or 'First Year' payment amount and process the payment to lock your seat in. (Students from India who are applying under the SDS program, must select the 'First Year' payment amount).

Tip: Make sure your browser is allowing pop-ups as a new window will open for your payment to be processed.

You cannot apply directly without speaking to admissions - 99% of our applicants interested in PNII need to do PHSC first.

If you have a nursing degree, we can look at your credentials, but if you are coming from HS, you would need the PHSC.

Please email to connect directly to admissions who can support you on this! In the email, please provide us with your educational background.

If you cannot find the required information regarding your program on the app, please contact internationalapplications@durhamcollege.

It depends. Please contact our admissions office for the required information.

Health Care

When you come to study in Canada as an international student, you must have health insurance. This will help you to pay for basic health care services and medical treatments. Health insurance is mandatory for all eligible international students, and you will be automatically enrolled to receive it. There are two different types of plans at DC:

  1. Morcare (primary): Provides basic insurance coverage for illness, injury or medical emergencies. This plan is modelled after the health insurance provided by the Ontario Government (OHIP) to Ontario residents.
  2. Student VIP (supplementary): Extended insurance coverage for ‘other’ medical services such as prescription medication, dental, vision care, travel coverage and other treatment providers (chiropractic, massage, physiotherapy, etc.).

These plans offer different types of coverage, but they work together to provide full and comprehensive medical coverage for students.

For more information, please visit each provider’s website to familiarize yourself with coverage information and claim submissions.

You may have an opportunity to enrol your family (spouse/dependent children) in the health insurance plan. To add/renew family coverage for your dependents you must contact the health plan providers directly. The period to opt-in your family is only open for the first 30 days of your enrolment into the plan.

If you will not be physically present in Canada for your studies in Fall 2021, you may opt-out of both Morcare and Student VIP health insurance. Once you complete the online opt-out, you will receive a confirmation that the opt-out was received. Health insurance fees will be credited to your student account. The opt out period will open between September 1 and September 30, 2021 only. If you travel to Canada, you will automatically be reenrolled in health insurance coverage.

Questions about health insurance opt-out can be directed to the to the LIVE CHAT feature on the Student VIP website.

To download your Morcare medical card:

  1. Go to
  2. Select "Durham College"
  3. Click "Your Space" from the top menu
  4. Enter your date of birth and student number
  5. Please print a paper copy as this is required by medical clinics for billing purposes.


Remember, if you have any questions about your health insurance, please contact Morcare directly.

To download your Student VIP extended medical card:

  1. Go to
  2. Select “Durham College”
  3. Click “Benefits Card” and follow the steps
  • Morcare: submit your claims electronically. Learn more about the process here.
  • Student VIP: click here to learn how to make a claim.

Yes, students currently studying outside Canada can have their refund applied to their student account.

For any questions about Student VIP Health Insurance , you can follow up with DCSI’s health insurance plan directly at

Arrival Service / Quarantine

The new federal requirement to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test to airlines before boarding flights applies to all air travellers bound for Canada, including international students.

  • Tests must be taken within 72 hours prior to the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada.
  • Anyone who receives a negative test result and is authorized to enter Canada must still complete the full, mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Further information regarding the federal requirement for pre-departure COVID-19 testing is available here:

We are excited to announce that Durham College has received approval for its readiness plan to welcome international students to Canada. We look forward to seeing you in Canada!

As of October 20, 2020, if you are a registered Durham College student you may be permitted to travel to Canada for your studies, if you meet certain requirements. For full details, see IRCC’s website: Update to Travel Restriction Exemptions.

Requirements include, but are not limited to:

  1. You have a valid study permit OR
  2. You have approval of your study permit in the form of a letter from IRCC plus you have a valid TRV visa sticker in your passport

Please note that you CANNOT travel to Canada if you have an Approval-in-Principle (AIP), you must have a letter stating that your study permit has been approved or have a valid study permit.

You should not make any travel plans until you have met all requirements. For full details, see IRCC’s website: Update to Travel Restriction Exemptions.

If you are planning to come to Canada. You must inform about your arrival date, Vaccination status in advance at Please note that Durham college does not collect or authenticate proof of vaccination for students. International students seeking exemption from the 3 days hotel stopover will have to upload their Proof of Vaccination to the Arrive CAN app and obtain a confirmation email to be submitted alongside your quarantine plan form.

If you are not fully vaccinated as per the government of canada website. The mandatory quarantine upon your arrival will be: 3 nights at a government-authorized hotel AND 11 days at an adequate accommodation for quarantine. Please refer to the process here:

For more information on quarantine steps please visit our website to arrange quarantine and arrival services:

If you choose to make your own quarantine arrangements, you must submit your quarantine plan well in advance to Remember to include your name and student number in your email. Here is a checklist of what to include in your quarantine plan.

When you arrive in Canada you are required to quarantine for 14 days  according to Government of Canada regulations. Here’s a checklist for quarantining when you arrive: Quarantine Checklist.

We can arrange your quarantine!

Through our partner Maple Assist, Durham College will arrange an airport pickup and your first two nights of your quarantine for FREE.

For the rest of your quarantine at the same location, we were able to secure low rates. And for those who need financial assistance to help with the cost of quarantining, you may be eligible for a bursary.

Book your airport pickup and quarantine here:

Fee payments / Registrations / Academics

If you are a first semester student who has paid their tuition fees, you have received an email and notification regarding your program delivery methods for the January (Winter) 2022 semester.

You can find program delivery information for your program Winter semester | Durham College.

If you are in a hybrid program, part of the program is delivered remotely, and part is on-campus. This notification will be sent to you this week or after you have paid your tuition fees, at the email on your application.

If you have any questions, please visit our website  or contact us or via Live Chat. Remember to include your name and student number in your email.


  1. Log in to My Campus and click on the DC Intl Applicant tab at the top of the page
  2. Under “Helpful Links”, select “Check status of Application”
  3. Accept your offer and pay your fees.

For more information please check Financial information and payment methods | Durham College.


The following forms of payment are accepted:

  1. Bank: Internet banking (use Durham College as a payee, your student number is the reference/account number), at branch or telephone banking (CANADIAN BANKS ONLY)
  2. Credit Card: Durham College has partnered with Chase Paymentech for payments with International Visa and MasterCard.
  3. Flywire: An innovative and streamlined way to make payments via wire transfer and credit card. To pay by Flywire visit this link
  4. In Person: Payments by Interac, Visa, MasterCard and bank draft.


To ensure you retain your seat, the proof of your eligibility and the deposit payment should be received by the College no later than the deposit due date. Payments received after this date will be considered late and may be subject to Admissions waitlist policies.

If you have any questions, please contact

Please see our step-by-step guide on how to select a timetable for the information.

Durham College is pleased to provide DC Connect as a learning environment for all students and faculty. Powered by Desire2Learn software, DC Connect provides an online "home room" for your classes. Because it is a web site, DC Connect is available on campus or off, day or night.

For their first attempt to login, the student would use the ID and Password provided within an email from the Registration Office.

  1. Enter your 9-digit ‘100’ Student ID number in the first field
  2. Enter your default Network Password in the second field, typically one of the following:
  • Your date of birth in the format MMDDYY (6 digits)
  • Your Canadian postal code in the format A1A1A1 (6 characters, capital letters, no spaces)

DC Connect can be used to give students access to teaching materials, provide communication and feedback, or to take quizzes and submit assignments. You can also show each student their individual grades. There is also a calendar attached to each course to help students manage their time and stay on top of assignments and tests.

For more information on how to change your password when you are using DC Connect, DC mail or other applications, see First Time Login to the Student Network Account handout.

We understand with the COVID 19 pandemic not all students are able to obtain a SIN number at this time. As such when you attempt to register there should be an error message asking for your SIN on that message it will read: “If you are not in Canada and cannot enter a SIN, please push the EXIT button”. You would click exit and proceed with these steps for registration: Please ensure you are using a computer and not a phone or tablet.

If you attempted this and received an error again, please note:

You should be using a computer (not a phone or tablet). In addition are you clicking MyCampus – DC Home Tab – Helpful Links – Registration – Timetable Selections – Timetable Selections? Many students click Timetable Selections – Select Term which is incorrect. You must click timetable selections twice.

If you need any additional support please contact

If you are full-time student at Durham College (DC) and you are allowed to work on your study permit, you can work full-time during a regularly scheduled break (e.g. Reading Week, the time between two semesters).


Please note:

  • You are only eligible to work off campus on a full-time basis up to 150 consecutive days during a regularly scheduled break with a maximum total of 180 days during each calendar year.
  • You can undertake a full-time or part-time course load during a regularly scheduled break and are still eligible to work off campus on a full-time basis.
  • You must hold full-time status during the academic semesters both before and after a regularly scheduled break to be able to work off campus on a full-time basis during the break. If the next semester is your final semester and you only require a part-time course load to complete your program, you are still eligible to work full-time during the break.

For more information, please visit the website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Please also note “drop letters” are NOT issued by DC as they are not required by IRCC or an employer. If your employer asks when you are expected to resume your full-time studies, your Verification of Program Enrolment letter in MyDC states your next semester and you can use that as proof.