Health Insurance and Health Care

As an international student in Canada, you have access to health insurance. If you ever fall ill or get into an accident and need medical aid, you will be covered for most services.

Durham College international students have two types of health insurance and you will have a health benefits card to use at the doctor, pharmacy or dentist office.


The International Student Health Plan provides basic (primary) health insurance to cover expenses like:

  • Doctor’s visits
  • Emergency Room Visits / Hospitalization
  • X-rays & Lab Tests
  • Emergency Surgery
  • Pregnancy & Maternity

Early Arrival Coverage: This plan provides up to 30 days of coverage prior to the start of your semester if you arrive to Canada early. For example, August 1st for students who begin in September and December 1st for students who begin in January.


The Drug & Dental Plan provides supplemental health insurance benefits to cover expenses like:

  • Prescription Medication
  • Dental Care (Exams, Cleanings, X-rays, Fillings, Extractions)
  • Vision Care including Eye Exams, Glasses, Contact Lenses
  • Mental Health Counselling
  • Paramedical (Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy and more)
  • Travel
  • Accidents


The DCSA in partnership with Student VIP provides all students with free counselling support 24/7 through the I.M. Well program. Students are encouraged to download the Student VIP mobile app to connect with a counsellor by live-chat or telephone.


For more information about your health insurance, connect with Durham College Student Association.

For coverage information, to add family to your plan or to live-chat with a Student VIP agent, please visit