Visas and Permits

Skye - img

I am incredibly grateful to the International Student Advisors (ISAs) for their invaluable support throughout my college years at Durham College as an international student from Thailand. From the very beginning, the ISAs have been there for me, offering unwavering assistance and guidance. One particular memory that stands out was the time I arrived in Canada for the first time during COVID. The ISAs played a crucial role in helping me acclimate to a new country and provided essential support during quarantine.

Being an international student often entails managing a multitude of documents, which can be overwhelming. However, with the ISAs consistent support, I was able to navigate through numerous challenging situations and ensure my documents were in order. The ISAs’ dedication and expertise has been instrumental in making my journey smoother.

I wholeheartedly recommend that fellow students never hesitate to reach out to an ISA for assistance with any challenges they may encounter. Remember, you are not alone— ISAs are always there to lend a helping hand. Thank you, ISAs, for your invaluable support and for making my college experience truly memorable.

Skye (Bajika) Damrongwattanasuk International student from Thailand

Entering Canada

To attend Durham College, you need a valid study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). You must keep track of all of your immigration documentation expiry dates, including your study permit and passport expiry dates, to maintain your immigration status. It is your responsibility to ensure your documents remain valid during your studies in Canada.

TRV or eTA

Most students attending Durham College will need a TRV to enter Canada; some students will need an eTA to enter Canada. You can find out which one you need here

What is a TRV?

A TRV or Temporary Entry Visa is a stamp, sticker or a counterfoil that is affixed to your passport. The expiry date on the TRV indicates the deadline date that you have to enter Canada. You may need to apply for a new TRV if you are traveling to another country (except the United States) and need to re‐enter Canada.

See our TRV handout for more information, including how to renew your TRV.

Studying in Canada

You must hold a valid study permit to study at Durham College if your program is more than 6 months in length. You are able to work off campus if you are registered as a full-time student at Durham College, and you have a condition on your study permit that authorizes working off campus.

Your Study Permit needs to remain valid while you are studying in Canada.

See our Renew Your Study Permit handout for more information. 

Co-op/Placement/Internship during your studies


If your program has a co-op or placement or internship, you need to have a co-op work permit. You are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work term. Read more about working as a co-op/placement/internship student here

If you were not issued a co-op work permit when you received your study permit, please visit the International Education office for a letter you will need to apply for a co-op work permit. You can then apply online on the IRCC website

Check here to see if your program has co-op.

To check if your program has a field placement or internship, review the program webpage. 

For further information, including detailed information on how to apply, read our Co-op Work Permit handout.



If you plan to remain in Canada to work, you may wish to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). A Post‐Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a document that gives you permission to remain in Canada and work full‐time for up to three years (depending on the length of your program) after you graduate from a Canadian post‐secondary institution. You need to have completed all requirements to graduate from a program of at least eight months’ duration to be eligible. For information about applying for a PGWP, read our PGWP-Handout.