Tax Information

Income Tax

In Canada, completing an income tax form and sending it to the government is referred to as ‘filing a tax return’. You must file a tax return if you:

  • Earned income from employment (on-campus and/or off-campus)
  • Received a scholarship/bursary while in Canada.

In Canada, income tax is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The Canadian income tax year is from January 1 to December 31.

By filing your tax return, students are often eligible for a refund if you have had any of the following income or expenses during the tax year:

  • Rent expenses for off-campus housing
  • Hourly pay
  • Scholarships/bursaries
  • Tuition (T2202 and T4A tax forms from Durham College are available to download)

Income Tax Deadline

The tax year in Canada is from January 1 to December 31. Income tax forms must be completed and submitted by April 30 of the following year.

For example, you must mail your completed tax forms for the 2021 tax year (January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021) by April 30, 2022. Information about filing a tax return as an international student in Canada can be found on the Canada Revenue Agency’s website.

Social Insurance Number

To submit your income tax form, you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

To apply for a SIN, you must have a study permit which includes a condition or remark to work on and/or off campus.


If you have any questions about your T2202 please email: Remember to include your name and student number in your email.

How to File Your Taxes


NETFILE is an electronic tax-filing option allowing you to file your income tax directly to the Canada Revenue Agency online. Tax returns filed via NETFILE must first be prepared using a NETFILE-certified product you can find on their website.

By paper

Find the forms you need to submit your tax return by paper.

Tax Clinics

Generally, students may access support on campus or from the community for free filing options. These resources have been impacted due to COVID-19 concerns and may have been cancelled or postponed. Please visit About Free Tax Clinics for more information regarding the resources available in your community.

Some independent businesses that offer tax filing services for a fee are still open by appointment only. A Google search for ‘tax clinics’ in your area will provide you with more information about these businesses. Please call them directly for more information.