Business Administration - Human Resources (Three-Year Diploma)
Ontario College Advanced Diploma
Ontario College Advanced Diploma
Human resources (HR) professionals work in partnership with business managers to take care of the company’s largest asset – its employees. To help a business run, HR staff provide advice to department supervisors on a range of employee relations issues, design and deliver a range of programs and services focused on individual and team needs, and create company policies that support and promote a workplace culture based on fairness, equity and personal growth.
As a successful graduate of this program you will qualify for approved credit towards the academic component of the Certified Human Resources Professionals (CHRP) designation granted by the Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario (HRPAO). Students who receive and average grade of 70% in these courses and maintain a minimum grade of 65% in each course meet the coursework requirements to write the Comprehensive Knowledge Exams – a significant step towards becoming a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP).
Please visit www.hrpa.ca for full details.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) including Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U) OR
- Grade 12 equivalency certificate achieved through College academic upgrading OR
- Mature Student Status (19 years of age or older) with Grade 12 English (C or U) and Grade 11 Math (C, M or U)
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College.
Program Admission Form Students are required to complete and submit this form to indicate that the program's admission requirements have been met. This form must be submitted prior to registering for your first course.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of employee recruitment, selection, and retention strategies
- Administer and facilitate the performance management program
- Coordinate and support the development, implementation, and evaluation of employee orientation, training, and development programs
- Implement and support effective employee and labour relations strategies in both non-union and union environments
- Administer and communicate the organization's total compensation plan
- Collaborate with others, in the implementation and monitoring of organizational health and safety policies and practices
- Contribute to the identification of information needs and apply current and emerging information technologies to support the human resources function
- Contribute to organizational development strategies aimed at promoting organizational effectiveness
- Present and evaluate communication messages and processes related to the human resources function of the organization
- Develop, implement, and evaluate personal professional development plans to achieve ongoing competence in human resources professional practice
- Identify and communicate the human resources component of the organization's business plan
- Contribute to the collection, analysis, and utilization of human resources data
Potential career and industry options may include:
- Compensation and benefits co-ordinator
- Co-ordinator of volunteer resources
- Executive search associate
- Labour relations administrator
- Human resources assistant or generalist
- Occupational health and safety associate
- Payroll administrator
- Recruiter and staffing co-ordinator
- Training co-ordinator
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.2000, ext. 2161 or 3776
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.