Certificate of Apprenticeship
This program is designed for those already working in the ECE field who wish to pursue formal studies and receive certification. Child Development Practitioner (CDP) apprentices are required to take 23 modules of in-school training. This training is completed part-time through evening classes.
Durham College provides the in-school training portion for the Child Development Practitioner Apprenticeship Program. You must maintain excellent attendance, a minimum mark of 70 per cent in each subject and a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher in order to successfully complete your program
The CDP Certificate of Apprenticeship is awarded from the Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities (MTCU), upon the successful completion of the in-school training and the practical work experience (on the job hours) as mandated by MTCU.
To be eligible to enrol in the Durham College CDP program, you must be registered as an apprentice with the MTCU:
- You must find an employer to hire and train you before your training program can begin.
- An MTCU Apprenticeship Training Agreement must be signed (by you as the apprentice, your employer and your Employment Training Consultant (ETC) before you enroll at Durham College. For contact information see General Apprenticeship Information below.
- Following signing of an apprenticeship training agreement you must then make an application to the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT) and pay the membership fee. For more information about OCOT please visit www.collegeoftrades.ca
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Please click to view the CDP Student Handbook
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at email@example.com or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
For more information on the Durham College Child Development Practitioner courses please call us at 905.721.3052.
If you wish to attend school at Durham College:
General Apprenticeship Information
For more information on how to become a registered apprentice, please contact your local apprenticeship office or visit the MTCU website at http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employmentontario/training/
For Durham Region, please contact:
78 Richmond St. W., 1st Floor,
Oshawa, ON L1G 1E1
Financial help is available for apprentices. Some Ministry-funded programs that may be available to you include:
- Apprenticeship Completion Bonus - Non-Red Seal Trades
- Apprenticeship Scholarship (under 25 years of age)
- Loans for tools
To check eligibility, application processes and deadline dates, please visit: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employmentontario/training/financial.html