Motorcycle Training

Can you explain the Licencing for Motorcycles?

The first step is to write your M1 test at the Ministry of Transportation Drive Test Centre.  This permit is valid for 90 days.  You may take the course any time within this 90-day period.  After completion of the M1 Exit course and passing of your M1 Exit test (which is included in the course), you will go to an MTO Drive Test Centre to get your licence upgraded.  (Note that detailed deadlines and time lines related to licencing will be discussed in class.) Once you have driven for a minimum of 18 months and a maximum of 5 years, you may come back to us to take the M2 Exit licencing course.  Upon completion of this course and passing of your M2 Exit test, you will receive your final M licence.

Do I need a motorcycle to take the courses?

For the M1 Exit course – no – you will use our motorcycles.  There are a range of sizes, so you’ll choose one that is right for you.  For the M2 Exit course – yes – you will use your own bike (or a borrowed one).  You must also bring proof of ownership and insurance and your valid M2 licence.  Your bike must be roadworthy and capable of maintaining at least 100 km per hour as you will be trained and tested on Hwy 401.

What gear do I need?

You must provide your own safety-approved helmet, gloves that cover your wrists and fingers, boots (running shoes are not permitted) that cover your ankles, jacket and pants made of denim, leather, or ballistic nylon. Ballistic nylon jackets and gloves are the preferred attire as they are protective, colourful, water-resistant and more versatile than leather or denim items.

What if it’s raining?

The course runs rain or shine, so please come dressed accordingly.  Your rain suit should fit over your gear.

Where are the courses held and what times are they offered?

The courses are held at Durham College Whitby Campus, 1610 Champlain Avenue.  The majority of the M1 Exit courses run on weekends – Friday evening (6:45-10pm), Saturday and Sunday (8:45am-5pm).  Friday evening is in-class, so you don’t need to bring your riding gear.  You do need to bring your driver’s licence (or some form of photo ID), your valid M1 permit, paper and a pen to take notes.  Sunday is when the testing for the M2 licence will take place. You may also choose to do a weeknight course which runs Friday (6:45-10pm), and the following Monday to Thursday (5:45-10pm).  You will need your riding gear for Monday night. We have also scheduled a few weekday courses which run Monday evening (6:45-10pm), Tuesday and Wednesday (8:45am-5pm).  You do not need your gear for Monday night. The M2 Exit course runs Friday (6:15-10:30pm).  On Saturday, you’ll choose either 7am-noon, or noon-5pm and Sunday will be your one-hour test for your M licence.  Come prepared to ride with your motorcycle and riding gear on Friday evening.  The times for both Saturday and Sunday will be chosen during class on Friday evening.

How does one register for the courses?

You may register one of the following ways:

  • You may register online using a credit card by clicking the course title at the top of this page.
  • You may register by phone by calling 905.721.3000 – Please have your credit card and course code ready.
  • You may register in person at either the Oshawa or Whitby campus, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  You may pay by debit or credit card (cash or personal cheques are not accepted).
  • These courses fill quickly, so register early to avoid disappointment.

If you want to register in the same class with a friend, it is strongly recommended that you both register at the same time by phone or in-person.

What information will I need to register?

To start with, you’ll need the course code.  The code for “M1 Exit” course is SPRT 1918, and the code for “M2 Exit” is SPRT 2918.  Registration will also need your home address, phone numbers, e-mail address, and date of birth. Please register using the same name that appears on your driver’s licence.

I already have my M licence, but I’d like a refresher course or I want to reduce my insurance rates. Which course should I take?

You will take the Motorcycle Refresher course (SPRT 2920).

I’ve registered for the course and now I can’t attend. What should I do?

We’ll be more than happy to transfer you, at no charge, to another available course by calling 905.721.3000. Please be sure that you can attend the new date because only one transfer is allowed. If you registered online, you may transfer or withdraw yourself by clicking here. If you registered any other way than online, and you can’t attend any other dates, you must print a (Continuing Education Withdrawal Form) – [PDF 434 KB].  Fill it out and sign it, then fax it to the number on the top of the form.  You may also scan and email it to You may also complete a Withdrawal Form in-person by visiting the School of Continuing Education located at the Oshawa or Whitby Campuses. There will be a $30 administration fee deducted for all withdrawals. Refund requests must be received by us at least three working days prior to the start of your scheduled course to be eligible for a refund.

Can I just go to the Ministry of Transportation and do my testing there?

Sure you can.  These courses are not mandatory, but to receive a reduction in insurance rates, you must present your insurance company with the certificate from the Canada Safety Council (which you will receive upon successful completion of the testing at the end of the M1 Exit course).

I took the M1 Exit course and received my M2. Why do I need to take another course to get my M?

You don’t have to take a course.  You can do your M2 Exit test through a Drive Test Centre.  Note that because you have taken the M1 Exit course, you only have to drive with your M2 for a minimum of 18 months.  Anyone who doesn’t take the M1 Exit course must wait a minimum of 22 months before testing for their M licence. Since your M2 is valid for a maximum of five years, you may need to refresh your skills in order to be prepared to do your M driver’s test.  The M2 Exit course builds on skills learned in the M1 Exit course.  Most of the time is spent on your bike and – thanks to constant wireless communication – you will be safely escorted through intersections, left and right turns, commercial and residential traffic, and learn highway driving skills.  You will learn defensive driving techniques, refresh your low-speed skills, practice high-speed pattern riding, learn vehicle control, practice emergency measures,  and ride using advanced riding procedures.