Perioperative Nursing (Graduate Certificate)
Ontario College Graduate Certificate
Ontario College Graduate Certificate
This Ontario College Graduate Certificate will support Registered Nurses (RN) and Registered Practical Nurses (RPN) in building the necessary knowledge and expertise to care for clients in perioperative settings. Areas of study include the basic equipment and instruments used, the principles of aseptic technique, and the importance of infection control and their role within the perioperative setting.
The program includes four theory courses designed to provide a theoretical knowledge base in perioperative nursing, followed by a transition to practice course and a field placement targeted at the application of concepts learned throughout the program.
Please note that the Transition to Practice and the Clinical placement courses are completed through our partner colleges.
- Current RN/RPN College of Nurses of Ontario Certificate of Competence (proof of registration number required)
- Clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required for Field Placement. Without this, you may not be accepted for placement by a field placement agency and may be unable to complete the requirements of the program
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College
- This program contains 2 courses that will not be completed through Durham College: Transition to Practice and Perioperative Nursing Field Placement.
Program Admission Form Students are required to complete and submit this form to indicate that the program's admission requirements have been met. This form must be submitted prior to registering for your first course.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at email@example.com or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Practice in a professional manner, within the legislated and ethical framework
- Develop and sustain therapeutic relationships with surgical clients and their families
- Communicate effectively with surgical clients, health care team members and others
- Participate effectively as a team member to support surgical clients' achievements of their expected outcomes
- Integrate theory, principles and concepts into competent perioperative nursing practice
- Complete health assessments in a holistic comprehensive and analytical manner
- Prioritize and organize nursing and health care
- Implement and evaluate nursing interventions competently
- Use a variety of technological tools to support surgical clients' achievement of their expected health outcomes
- Apply principles of teaching-learning to promote surgical clients' health and wellness
- Practice according to the Standards of Practice of Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada, the College of Nurses of Ontario and The Canadian Nurses' Association
- Emphasize sustainable practices minimizing the environmental footprint consistent with the highest standards of practice in the perioperative setting
Potential career and industry options may include:
- Scrub Nurse
- Circulating Nurse
Transition to Practice and Field Placement
Transition to Practice
- This course will be completed through our OntarioLearn partner college, Lambton College - Course Code PERI2010.
- Students will be required to register for this 2 day workshop located in Bluewater Health in Sarnia and pay course fees to Lambton College.
- Once you have successfully completed the workshop we will transfer your course credit back to Durham College.
- Students must contact the Continuing Education Office to obtain further details of how to register with Lambton College.
- This course is typically offered every semester - September, January and May start dates via Loyalist College.
- This 150 hour course will be completed through our OntarioLearn partner college, Loyalist College - Course Code WKPL8003.
- Students will be required to register and pay course fees to Loyalist College.
- Prior to completing the field placement course, you must complete a pre-placement orientation course (course code LMPS8001) through Loyalist College, and submit required documentation information according to Loyalist College's deadlines.
- Travel outside of Durham Region may be required for placement.
- Once you have successfully completed the placement we will transfer your course credit back to Durham College.
- Information on Clinical Placement course and Pre-Clinical Requirements can be found on the Loyalist College website.
- Registration information for Loyalist Courses can be found on the Loyalist College website.
- Please note: Placements can take a considerable time to secure.
Steps to register for the placement course:
- Email Durham College Continuing Education office, your intent to take the Clinical course so we can verify that you have successfully completed all the five prerequisite courses that comprise the certificate
- Email Loyalist College’s placement coordinator at least Six (6) months in advance of the start of the term in which you wish to complete your placement
- Ensure you meet all the pre-clinical requirements as noted on the Loyalist College website listed above
- Register online with Loyalist College for the pre-placement orientation course and submit all required information and paperwork according to Loyalist College's requirements and posted deadlines.
- Register online with Loyalist College for the Clinical Placement course
- Once registered, Loyalist College's placement coordinator will forward a placement package which includes several forms that need to be completed by the student and returned to Loyalist College, e.g. health form, Criminal Reference Check, proof of current CPR/First Aid, etc.
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.3052
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.