Ontario College Graduate Certificate
From recruitment and selection to training and development, a career in human resources (HR) requires a focus on both strategy and people. Skill, knowledge and ability in human resource planning, occupational health and safety, compensation, labour relations and managerial accounting enable HR professionals to contribute to business success in an increasingly competitive global marketplace while looking after the organization’s most important asset – its employees.
For those students who wish to pursue a designation from the Human Resources Professional Association (HRPA), this program includes the nine courses required by HRPA. Students who receive an average grade of 70 per cent in these courses and maintain a minimum grade of 65 per cent in each course, meet the coursework requirements to write the Comprehensive Knowledge Exam – a significant step towards becoming a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) in Ontario.
For further information regarding designations granted by HRPA, please visit www.hrpa.ca for full details.
- Three-year college diploma or university degree OR
- Minimum of three to five years of related business experience and Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Proof of English language proficiency required
- You must maintain an overall average of 60% or a GPA of 2.0 in order to graduate
- A minimum of 25% of courses must be completed through Durham College.
Program Admission Form Students are required to complete and submit this form to indicate that the program's admission requirements have been met. This form must be submitted prior to registering for your first course.
Current Program of Study Students are required to print or save a copy of the Program of Study when beginning the program. This document contains critical details about program progression and graduation requirements specific to the academic year in which your program was started.
Students who began this program prior to the current academic year may contact the Continuing Education office at email@example.com or 905-721-3052 to obtain your Program of Study and graduation requirements.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and evaluation of employee recruitment, selection, and retention plans and processes
- Administer and contribute to the design and evaluation of the performance management program
- Develop, implement, and evaluate employee orientation, training, and development programs
- Facilitate and support effective employee and labour relations in both non-union and union environments
- Research and support the development and communication of the organization’s total compensation plan
- Collaborate with others, in the development, implementation, and evaluation of organizational health and safety policies and practices
- Research and analyze information needs and apply current and emerging information technologies to support the human resources function
- Develop, implement, and evaluate organizational development strategies aimed at promoting organizational effectiveness
- Present and evaluate communication messages and processes related to the human resources function of the organization
- Manage own professional development and provide leadership to others in the achievement of ongoing competence in human resources professional practice
- Facilitate and communicate the human resources component of the organization’s business plan
- Conduct research, produce reports, and recommend changes in human resources practices
Potential career and industry options may include:
- Compensation and benefits coordinator
- Employee relations advisor
- Human resources consultant
- Human resources generalist
- Occupational health and safety associate
- Recruiter and staffing coordinator
- Training coordinator
- Energy companies
- Employment agencies
- Colleges and Universities
- Computer/Tech companies
- Not-for-profit organizations
Students must visit the Field Placement Page for information, deadlines and instructions for applying for this program's field placement requirement.
Program Related Questions? Call 905.721.2000, ext. 2161 or 3776
If you are interested in applying for financial aid, please visit the Continuing Education OSAP Eligibility webpage.