FIELD PLACEMENT IMPORTANT DATES / DEADLINES
PAPERWORK MODULES – PAPERWORK SUBMISSION DEADLINE
|Paperwork Modules OPEN For All Programs||
OCTOBER 29, 2018
MARCH 5, 2019
|Paperwork Modules CLOSE For All Programs
(All Paperwork must be submitted to DC Connect)
DECEMBER 10, 2018
APRIL 16, 2019
COURSE REGISTRATION OPENS
|Business, Educational Support, Justice & Nursing Field Placements||
DECEMBER 3, 2018
DECEMBER 3, 2018
COURSE REGISTRATION CLOSES
|ALL PROGRAM FIELD PLACEMENTS||
DECEMBER 10, 2018
APRIL 16, 2019
ECE & SSW Field Placements COURSE REGISTRATION
Spaces are limited in the ECE & SSW program field placements. As such, approval to register for an ECE or SSW field placement course will be provided to each student based on the submission of accurate and complete pre-placement documentation, on a first come, first served basis, in addition to the completion of all required prerequisite courses and a program GPA of at least 2.0 or higher.
The Placement Officer will review all placement requirements and advise each student, via email to the student’s DCMAIL.ca account only, whether or not they have been approved to register for the course.
DC CONNECT PAPERWORK MODULE ACTIVATION
Nov 6th Notice:
Please be advised that DC Connect Pre-Placement Activation Requests will not be available during the November 8-13 Website Maintenance Outage.
Activation requests sent after 3pm on Wednesday November 7th will not be processed until Wednesday November 14th. Students requesting activation during this outage are expected to be activated by Friday November 16th.
Please note: DC Connect will remain accessible during this maintenance period. Thank you for your patience.
Please complete the following steps no less than one (1) week before the posted deadline below, in order to submit your Pre-Placement Paperwork on time:
Email email@example.com and provide the following information:
- First & Last Name
- Student ID Number
- Program Name
- Placement level (if applicable) eg: Level 1, 2 or 3
This does not register you in the Field placement course itself. You also need to register and pay the course fee for the placement before the deadline noted above. (SSW & ECE students see Course Registration note above)
- It is important that you send this information at least one week prior to the closing of the modules. The dates are noted at the top of this page.
- Please submit your request only once. You will receive an automatic reply with further details.
- Within 2-3 business days, you will be activated in two DC Connect modules. They are the “Pending Activation” and the “Pre-Placement Paperwork” Module.
- Once you have been activated in the DC Connect Pre-Placement Paperwork module, you will receive an automatic notification to your dcmail.ca email account within DC Connect.
- You will then be required to submit your paperwork in the “Pre-Placement Paperwork” module associated with your program before the deadline date.
- Students are required to monitor their dcmail.ca email account once activation is requested and ongoing throughout the duration of their placement, as placement correspondence will only be sent to the student’s dcmail.ca address. Personal email addresses will not be used.
- You must complete ALL prerequisite courses listed in the placement course description prior to registering, regardless of when you started your program. Note: Some of the Business programs, All Health programs and ECE Field Placement #3 require that ALL courses in the program must be completed prior to registering for the final placement component.
- You must also have a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
- You must meet all paperwork and registration deadlines.
- Once you have access to DC Connect, please read and follow all of the instructions outlined in the “Pre-Placement Paperwork” course for your diploma or certificate program.
- Upload the required documentation to each of the drop boxes in the Pre-Placement Paperwork module.
- You must regularly check the DC Connect Pre-Placement Paperwork Module once you have submitted your documentation to ensure each item has been accepted and approved. You will receive feedback within the module on each item uploaded as they are reviewed.
- If any documentation is missing or incomplete, you will be advised of this via the feedback section of each DC Connect assignment box.
- Failure to register and submit all completed required documentation by the deadline date above will result in you not being eligible for placement for the current term.
REQUIRED PAPERWORK FOR PLACEMENT
All of the required forms for submission are found in the DC Connect Pre-Placement Paperwork Module for your program’s field placement.
You can also click the program name below for additional placement FAQs and a list of required paperwork:
- Business Programs
- Early Childhood Education Diploma
- Educational Support Diploma
- Justice & Emergency Services Programs
- Health/Nursing Certificate Programs
- Social Service Worker Diploma
The Entry Immunization form (EIF) and the Criminal Reference Check (CRC) are required for ALL program field placements. NOTE: Business placements do not require an EIF unless attending placement in an agency where the student is in contact with vulnerable persons, or where the agency requests it.
ENTRY IMMUNIZATION FORM
The completion of the Entry Immunization form (EIF) ensures that you have taken the necessary precautions to avoid contracting or spreading disease or illness.
These forms can take a significant amount of time to complete so it is strongly advised that you make an appointment with your family doctor or the Durham College Health Centre (on campus) to get these forms filled out as soon as possible.
You MUST have an approved EIF before you can attend placement, and it must remain valid for the duration of your placement.
Print the the Entry Immunization Form and bring it with you to your doctor’s appointment. The doctor will need to fill out the forms completely.
Please note: The Health Care Provider information page included in the form explains each immunization that is required. Please bring this with you to your doctor’s appointment.
If you have completed this form in the recent past, you may be able to use the same form providing all of the immunizations are still up to date.
If you do not have a family doctor, you can make an appointment with the Campus Health Centre.
Campus Recreation and Wellness Centre – Room G1030
Hours of Operation Mon. to Fri. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
CRIMINAL REFERENCE CHECKS (WITH VSS)
You must have a current Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening submitted by the due date.
We ONLY ACCEPT ORIGINAL criminal reference checks so order a minimum of two copies, as you may be required to provide a copy to your placement host. Your original will not be returned.
Please note: If your local police services agency does not provide multiple copies of the CRC, please complete the CRC Verification/Request for Return Form and submit to the Continuing Education Office with the required supporting documentation.
The Criminal Reference Check must be valid within 6 months of your placement, and remain valid for the duration of your placement. (Note: Depending on where you are placed, your placement host may require a CRC newer than Durham College’s requirement. – example: Regional Daycare centres often require the CRC is no more than 1 month old).
Please note that you must provide an Original CRC for each placement in your program.
Winter Placements – If your placement begins in January, the CRC cannot be issued prior to August of the previous year.
Spring Placements – If your placement begins in May, the CRC cannot be issued prior to December of the previous year.
Fall Placements – If your placement begins in September, the CRC cannot be issued prior to April of the same year.
Criminal Reference Checks must be either hand delivered or mailed/couriered to:
Continuing Education, Durham College
2000 Simcoe Street North, Office A160
Oshawa, Ontario L1H 7L7
Attn: Laurel Kimball, Practicum Officer
DURHAM REGIONAL POLICE:
To request a Criminal Record Check and/or a Vulnerable Sector Screen a student must have a letter on letterhead, with a staff signature stating the reason the check(s) are required. Click HERE to obtain a copy of this letter.
TORONTO POLICE SERVICES:
If you are from the Toronto area, you will need to book an appointment with Durham College’s Director of Campus Safety, Tom Lynch, to have your form signed. You must bring two pieces of Photo Identification with you.
To arrange this appointment, please contact Yvette Greenall – Administrative Assistant Office of Campus Safety T: 905-721-2000 ext 3294.
OUTSIDE DURHAM AND TORONTO:
Request the Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen as per your police department’s requirements. If you require a letter on Durham College letterhead, please click HERE.
DOCUMENTATION REVIEW / APPROVAL
- You will be advised of any missing or additional information required in the feedback section of each submission folder in DC Connect. Once you have uploaded your documents, you must continue to check DC Connect until a grade for each submission has been assigned. Failure to check feedback could result in missed paperwork deadlines if any corrections are required.
- Please ensure you are checking DC Connect regularly for feedback. If there are missing items, you will be notified via the feedback sections in each of the assignment boxes in DC Connect only.
- Any correspondence regarding paperwork/placement status, including clearance email, will be sent to your DCMAIL email account. Please ensure you are checking this account regularly.
REGISTERING FOR PLACEMENT COURSES
- ECE & SSW FIELD PLACEMENT COURSE REGISTRATION
- Due to limited availability, All documentation requirements must be verified as complete by the Placement Officer in order to be granted approval to register for these placement courses.
- Your documentation will be reviewed based on a first come, first served basis, as such, you are encouraged to submit the required paperwork at the earliest possible date.
- If/When you are given approval to register, you will be notified by email to your @dcmail.ca email account only.
- You must register within 48 business hours from the time the email was sent, or forfeit your ability to register.
- All documentation MUST be received no later than 11:30pm on the paperwork due date in order to be considered.
- Review of documentation takes time and will occur starting when the paperwork module opens, with the majority of review completed during the 1-2 weeks after the module closes.
- Students will be advised of registration approval as soon as the Placement Officer has completed the review and approval process.
- BUSINESS, EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT, JUSTICE & NURSING FIELD PLACEMENT COURSE REGISTRATION
- You may register for the field placements in these programs in the same way you register for your theory courses.
- You must meet the registration and paperwork deadlines noted at the top of this page.
- You do not need to wait for your paperwork to be approved before you register for your course. (See exception above for ECE & SSW program placements)
CLEARANCE FOR PLACEMENT
- Once you have been approved and cleared for placement, you will receive an email (to your dcmail.ca email address only) from the Placement Officer providing your next steps.
- You are not to begin any placement hours until you have been officially cleared.
- Any hours completed prior to clearance will not be counted and must be made up prior to the course end date.