Our well-equipped microbiology, chemical analysis, product development, and food processing facilities provide our students with hands-on experience in the methods and instrumentation used in the food science, cosmetics, natural health product, and cannabis industries. Our students learn the theory of and perform experiments mirroring industry procedures and protocols to ensure they are equipped with the skills and knowledge they need to work in these high-demand industries.
During placement, students have the opportunity to gain experience at partner organizations, including food manufacturers, microbiology laboratories, analytical testing facilities and ingredient suppliers.
Graduates are employed in both the public and private sectors including:
- Bakeries, confectioners, pasta and snack food manufacturers
- Brewers, winemakers and beverage manufacturers
- Dairy, meat, seafood and canning processors
- Food additives and flavour manufacturers
- Government agencies
- Packaging, ingredient, and equipment suppliers
- Consumer health products manufacturers
- Research establishments and universities
- Third party testing labs
This program has broad career prospects and a graduate may become a(n)
- Food safety technologist
- Quality assurance technologist
- Quality control technologist
- Microbiology technologist
- Food or cosmetic manufacturing technologist
- Food product development technologist
- Instrumentation technologist
- Analytical Chemist
The career path for graduates of this program can extend to technical research and development, operations and general management.
Graduates may be eligible to continue their studies in a degree program via Pathways agreements with a variety of universities: www.durhamcollege.ca/pathways
Program Learning Outcomes
- Research, determine and perform procedures related to the purification, analysis and synthesis of chemical compounds and samples.
- Perform, coordinate and implement laboratory procedures to conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses and tests.
- Select, test, calibrate, troubleshoot and evaluate chemical analysis instruments and equipment to assure accurate results.
- Implement, coordinate and evaluate quality assurance and quality control procedures, including statistical analysis, in accordance with international and industry standards and government regulations.
- Complete, monitor and manage chemical laboratory tasks and projects using computer and information technologies.
- Participate in health and safety practices and initiatives in the chemical laboratory to ensure a safe
environment for oneself and others.
- Promote the efficient, sustainable and ethical use of chemical laboratory resources through the application and analysis of sustainability practices.
- Communicate laboratory data, results, analysis and recommendations through the preparation, interpretation and presentation of technical reports.
- Collaborate with others and work in chemical laboratory teams to complete laboratory tasks and projects.
- Develop strategies for ongoing professional development to enhance competence as a chemical laboratory technologist.
- Interpret results using microbiological techniques to ensure quality assurance and quality control in the food and pharmaceutical industry.
- Develop food and pharmaceutical products for commercial use.
- Support continuous improvement strategies by inspecting food and pharmaceutical production processes.