Academic Upgrading – Academic and Career Entrance (A.C.E.) Grade 12 equivalency Certificate
- Looking to obtain your ACE certificate?
- Missing courses required to enter a college program?
- Trying to upgrade basic or workplace level credits?
- Wanting to update your academic skills?
Programs of study include:
- Communications (English)
- Obtain your ACE certificate which can be used to help you obtain employment and/or qualify for apprenticeship
- Qualify for an offer of admission to a college program
- Qualify to receive scholarship and/or bursary awards to assist with the tuition fees for a post-secondary Durham College program
Academic upgrading is:
- Offered every semester, call 905.721.3131 for dates or visit the Academic Upgrading – College preparation webpage
- Offered during the day
- Personalized to meet your needs
2000 Simcoe St. North
Oshawa, Ontario L1H 7K4
To learn more about online ACE courses visit Online education – Academic and Career Entrance Program (ACE).
Here’s how to get started:
Interested students are invited to attend an Academic Assessment session in math and/or English as a starting point. Writing the assessment provides us the opportunity to determine your skills and knowledge in these subject areas and helps us to create a personalized education plan to help you reach your goals. How much formal education you have completed doesn’t matter. In fact, the assessment is a great opportunity to reflect all types of learning from life experiences, work experiences, as well as formal education.
Sessions start promptly at 9:30 a.m. and finish at approximately 2:30 p.m. on the following dates:
- Friday, December 1, 15
- Friday, January 12, 26
- Friday, February 9, 23
- Friday, March 9, 23
- Friday, April 6, 20
- Friday, May 4, 18
- Friday, June 1, 15, 29
- Friday, July 13
Reserve your seat by calling 905.721.3131 – seating is limited!
On Steps to Success session days – please park in Founders 2, located to the north of the Simcoe building. Bring your ticket that is issued as you enter and we will be able to provide a voucher at the end of the day to cover your parking costs.
Parking for ongoing Upgrading students is available in Founders 2, located at the north end of the Simcoe building at a special rate of $5 per day with proof of registration.
How can I prepare for the assessment?
Remember, the assessment is not a pass or fail experience; it simply shows the skills you have gained or lost since you have been away from school.
Math – a review of the following subjects may be helpful: decimals, fractions, metric, order of operations, ratio and proportion, per cents, geometry, algebra, and trigonometry. Some useful web sites you may wish to visit include:
English – a review of reading and comprehension and writing skills may be helpful. Some useful web sites you may wish to visit include: