Apply for Credit Transfer

Credit transfer provides an opportunity to leverage previously completed courses from Durham College or another recognized post-secondary institution toward your program. Please note: Courses taken at institutions such as private career colleges or seminary schools, or academic upgrading and general interest classes are ineligible for credit transfer. No more than 75 per cent of a program of study can be obtained through credit transfer for all credentials.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for credit transfer at Durham College, you must first accept an offer of admission to the program you’re interested in transferring credits toward.

For core courses to transfer, they must meet the following criteria:

  • At least 80 per cent similar in content and learning outcomes. Check out our student self-evaluation guide to determine if your previous course(s) could be equivalent.
  • Minimum grade of 60%/C or the passing grade for the requested course (whichever is higher) is required for courses to transfer if completed at another institution. For courses previously completed at Durham College, the passing grade for the course sought is needed.
  • Course content should be equivalent (or close-to equivalent) in hours of instruction (for example, a 30-hour course likely would not cover the same content in as much depth as an 84-hour course). The previous course completed can not be the prerequisite subject for the course being sought for credit.
  • Courses should have been completed within the past five years. While courses completed more than five years ago can be submitted, they may be denied on the basis of age if there have been significant changes to practice or professional requirements, policies/legislation, or technology/software requirements. General education courses are exempted from the five-year rule.

If you completed a dual credit course, you may be eligible to transfer your previously-completed course toward your program. Please follow the steps detailed below.

Ready to apply?

Transferring your credits is easy with our new online Application for Credit Transfer located on MyDC.

If applying with previously-completed Durham College courses, additional supporting documentation is not required. You will need to complete the form and identify which previous course(s) you feel are equivalent to course(s) in your new program.

If applying with previous courses completed at another institution, you will need to provide:

  • Official transcript indicating your successful completion of the course with the required minimum grade (60%/C or passing grade for the course). If you provided an official transcript as part of the current admission cycle then you are not required to provide a new transcript. **
  • Course outlines. Course outlines provide evidence for why your previous course is equivalent to the course you’re seeking exemption from. This information is sent to the appropriate subject-matter expert as evidence to determine if the courses are similar enough to be granted credit. Documents can be uploaded through the portal or dropped off in person.
  • Payment. There is a $16/course fee for each request. If you are unable to pay online, you will be given a voucher to pay for your request in person.

** International requests for credit transfer must include a course-by-course credential assessment from either World Education Services (WES) or the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS).

A step-by-step guide for using the online Application for Credit Transfer can be found here.

Credit transfer requests must be submitted by the tenth (10th) day of classes each semester.

Already submitted an application?

During peak periods, it may take 4 to 6 weeks to receive a response to your application. You can monitor the results of your credit transfer application through the online application on MyDC.

Additional questions or concerns may be directed to

Letter of Permission

If you are considering taking a course at another institution and transferring the course back to Durham College, you must first submit a Letter of Permission (LOP) application. Approval through the LOP process ensures that the course you plan to take will be recognized toward your Durham College credential.

To be eligible for a Letter of Permission, you:

  • Must be actively enrolled in a program at Durham College.
  • Must be in good standing with Durham College.
  • Must not be in the first semester of your program (as you will not have standing in your program).
  • Must not have any academic integrity alerts on your record.
  • Must not exceed residency requirements for program if approved (if in receipt of previous credits or PLAR).


  • Course level at the host institution must match the course level of the Durham College course you’re seeking exemption from (i.e. diploma level for diploma level, degree level for degree level).
  • Submitted course must be 80% similar in content/learning outcomes to the requested Durham College course.
  • If approved, you must complete the course with the minimum grade requirement (60%/C or passing grade for the requested course, whichever is higher, as outlined by program requirements).
  • Non-numeric grades will not be accepted for a Letter of Permission (i.e. any Pass/Satisfactory grading).
  • Courses must be completed in the term approved through the Letter of Permission. If you are unable to meet this timeline then an official extension must be granted by the credit transfer office.
  • Courses completed on a Letter of Permission will be recorded as a “TC” (transfer credit) and will not count toward term or program GPA (grade point average)
  • If you are approved to complete a Letter of Permission for a course without having completed the Durham College course pre-requisites, approval on the Letter of Permission does not waive the pre-requisite classes. All courses in the program must be completed to graduate with the credential.

Additional Information

Part-time vs. Full-time Status

Courses approved as equivalent and dropped from your timetable may impact your full-time enrolment status, which could impact your OSAP funding or eligibility for other student financial aid options. Dropping to part-time status may also impact access to other student benefits and services such as the U-Pass, medical coverage, and access to the Campus Recreation and Wellness Centre.

You may add classes to your schedule to maintain a full-time status. Apply early to ensure you can add classes before the add/drop deadline each semester if you would like to maintain a full-time course load.


Applications for external Credit Transfer must be accompanied by a non-refundable $16/course evaluation fee.

Please note: Any successful credit transfer applications will not result in a tuition-fee adjustment unless you are dropped to part-time status. Please consult with Financial Aid if you are in receipt of OSAP and have questions regarding the number of courses you can be exempt from without dropping to part-time status and how this could impact your funding.


In November 2014, Durham College signed a province-wide agreement allowing business students to more easily transfer from one college to another within Ontario with full credit. Students transferring from another Ontario college with successful completion of one (or two years) of accounting, human resources or marketing will receive the full year or two years’ worth of credit toward the same program at Durham College.

In April 2021, Durham College signed a province-wide agreement* allowing students to more easily transfer from one college to another within Ontario with full credit. Students transferring from another Ontario college with successful completion of one year of social service worker, early childhood education or police foundations will receive the full years’ worth of credit toward the same program at Durham College.  *participating colleges only

For the transfer to be successful, you must apply to Durham College and gain acceptance by meeting our admission criteria. If accepted and if you successfully passed all courses at your previous institution, the credit transfer office will evaluate your transcript and create a customized schedule so that you can complete your program at Durham College. Please contact to initiate this process.

Professional and Part-Time Learning Requests

As a professional and part-time learning student, you may submit an application to transfer courses at any time. You should first apply and gain acceptance to the professional and part-time learning program you wish to pursue; however, you should not register in the course you are planning to be exempted from.

If you are registered in a professional and part-time learning course and are planning to be exempted from it, you must submit your application within 5 business days from the official start of the course. If the request is approved, you must notify the Centre for Professional and Part-Time Learning of your acceptance and formally withdraw from the course. Regular withdrawal deadlines for the Centre for Professional and Part-Time Learning will be enforced so please apply as early as possible.

Please note: Professional and Part-Time Learning requests for credit transfer may take longer than the typical 10 to 15 business days if Durham College is not the host college for the course and requires external expertise to evaluate the request.

Career Colleges/Private Institutions

Prior learning completed at a career college or private institution is not eligible for credit transfer. Courses must be completed at a recognized post-secondary institution. If you have studied previously through a career college or private institution, you can investigate Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR).

Program-and-course-Specific Notes

Transfer to Ontario Tech University Programs (ACTU, BETU, FNTU, HRTU,MKTU, SCTU, CSTU)
Applications for Credit Transfer for any Ontario Tech-transfer programs will be reviewed in partnership with Ontario Tech University on an individual basis.

Ontario Tech University will not be granting any transfer credits for students in any of our joint transfer programs (ACTU, BETU, FNTU, HRTU,MKTU, SCTU, CSTU) for any of their 5 embedded courses. Ontario Tech University requires students to take all five of the embedded courses with them.

Fast-track programs
Students enrolled in a fast-track program are not eligible for credit transfer.

Graduate Certificate programs
Students enrolled in a graduate certificate program are not eligible for credit transfer unless transferring courses from another graduate certificate program.

Protection, Security and Investigation
Students in the Protection, Security and Investigation program are required to provide a front and back copy of their license as well as proof of completion of the Ontario 40-hour Security Guard course from a registered training provider that is recognized by the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services – Private Security Branch. When applying with the new online application form, please select that you studied at another recognized post-secondary institution and attach a front- and back-copy of your security license in place of the course outline.

Students in the Paramedic, Paramedic – Advanced Care and Firefighter – Pre-Service Education and Training programs require a minimum passing grade of 70 per cent to qualify for credit transfer.

For Paralegal students, any course submitted for credit transfer must have been taught as part of an accredited program with the Law Society of Ontario by a licensed lawyer and/or a licensed paralegal that is registered with the Law Society of Ontario. In addition, to ensure accreditation requirements are met, the previous course(s) submitted must meet 100% of the learning outcomes covered in the requested Durham College course. If there is insufficient evidence that 100% of learning outcomes have been covered, the request will be returned denied. As per LSO requirements you can also only transfer up to 40% of the total amount of courses at Durham College.

PSYC 1501/PSYC 1551
PSYC 1501/PSYC 1551 – Principles of Psychology is not eligible for credit transfer. If you previously completed an introductory psychology course, this may be used toward one of your elective requirements; however, would not meet the 80% equivalency threshold to grant credit toward PSYC 1501.

COMM 1810/COMM 1888
COMM 1810/1888 Fundamental Communication Skills is not eligible for credit transfer.