This program will provide students with the essential skills and specific qualifications necessary for the workplace. Graduates are employed in both public and private sectors including:
- Bakeries, confectioners, pasta and snack food manufacturers
- Brewers, winemakers and beverage manufacturers
- Dairy, meat, seafood and canning processors
- Food additives and flavour manufacturers
- Pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and consumer health products manufacturers
Service industries include:
- Government departments such as the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Health Canada
- Packaging, ingredient and equipment suppliers
- Pharmaceutical research and development companies
- Research establishments and universities
This program has broad career prospects and students may work as a:
- Analytical chemist
- Food safety and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point co-ordinator
- Food technologist
- Food scientist
- Packaging technologist
- Research scientist
- Much more
The career path for graduates of this program can extend to technical research and development , operations and general management.
In our fully equipped microbiology, chemical analysis and processing facilities, you will gain hands-on experience in the methods and instrumentation used in the pharmaceutical and food science technology industry.
This program is unique in Ontario. Local employers, including the Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology, which gives monetary awards for academic excellence, repeatedly require the technical expertise of our graduates.
If you are a domestic or internationally educated student with a Bachelor of Science degree, you may be eligible for the fast-track delivery. Please see the fast-track offering: Chemical Laboratory Technology - Pharmaceutical and Food Science (compressed fast-track).