This program is unique in Ontario and our well-equipped microbiology, chemical analysis, pharmaceutical and food processing facilities provide our students with hands-on experience in the methods and instrumentation used in the pharmaceutical, natural health product, cannabis and food science industries. Our students learn the theory of and perform experiments mirroring industry procedures and protocols to ensure they are equipped with the skills and knowledge they need to work in these high-demand industries.
During placement, students have the opportunity to gain experience at partner organizations, including food manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, analytical testing facilities and ingredient suppliers.
Graduates are employed in both the public and private sectors including:
- Bakeries, confectioners, pasta and snack food manufacturers
- Brewers, winemakers and beverage manufacturers
- Dairy, meat, seafood and canning processors
- Food additives and flavour manufacturers
- Pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and consumer health products manufacturers
- Government agencies
- Packaging, ingredient and equipment suppliers
- Research establishments and universities
This program has broad career prospects and a graduate may become a(n)
- Analytical Chemist
- Instrumentation technologist
- Food, pharmaceutical or cosmetic manufacturing technologist
- Food product development technologist
- Food safety technologist
- Pharmaceutical technologist
- Quality assurance technologist
- Quality control technologist
The career path for graduates of this program can extend to technical research and development, operations and general management.
Graduates may be eligible to continue their students in a degree program via Pathways agreements with a variety of universities: www.durhamcollege.ca/pathways
If you are a domestic or internationally educated student with a Bachelor of Science degree, you may be eligible for the fast-track delivery. Please see the fast track program for more details: www.durhamcollege.ca/chlf