No other discipline opens as many career doors to the exciting world of high technology as Electronics. In addition, no other branch of science engineering technology has contributed more to the development of the modern world than Electronics. In this program you will learn to develop Apps (applications) for the Internet of Things (IoT) using various operating systems, which will run on different wearables and mobile devices, learn rapid prototyping and 3D Printing.
Electronics engineering technologists design, test, install and service electronic equipment in the fields of:
- Networking, data communications and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Computer hardware and software
- Power generation and distribution
- Industrial automation and robotics
- Medical equipment
- Power generation and sustainable energy systems
- Process instrumentation and control
- Test and measurement
- Consumer products
- Navigation and radar systems
- Weapons systems (military)
As a technologist, you have the ability to expand your skills into a wider career path including the design of circuits and projects. Technologists study more advanced courses in math, engineering theory and scientific principles giving them the advanced knowledge to work in:
- Complex troubleshooting
- Data interpretation
- Decision making
- Design and planning
- Preparation of specifications
- Problem solving
- Project management
Since many technologists move into more advanced levels of engineering as part of their career progression, this program covers theory through the hands-on, practical, project-based learning of:
- Analog and Digital electronic circuits and systems
- Data communications, networking configuration, installation, security and troubleshooting
- Instrumentation and control
- Internet infrastructure and protocols
- Microprocessor-based controls
- Process instrumentation and controls
- Robotics and programmable-logic-controller (PLC)-based controls
- Telecommunication systems
- IoT and emerging technologies
Energy conservation, environmental awareness and the global environmental movement will have an impact on you as you train to become part of the green workforce. We promote job-ready skills through leading edge instruction and hands-on practical labs that are available to you in and outside of regular class hours.
To ensure program flexibility, the Electronics Engineering Technician and Electronics Engineering Technology programs have a common first and second year.
In The News
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze, interpret, modify, design and produce electrical and electronics drawings, layouts and reports.
- Analyze and solve technical problems related to electronics engineering by applying principles of advanced mathematics and science.
- Apply appropriate troubleshooting techniques to electronic circuits or systems and generate and perform test procedures.
- Design, build, test and troubleshoot electronic circuits, equipment, systems and subsystems in accordance with job requirements, functional specifications and relevant standards.
- Modify, maintain, repair and recommend electronic equipment and systems in accordance with relevant operational guidelines.
- Determine, select, recommend and justify the purchase of electronic equipment, components and systems in accordance with code, standards and job requirements and functional specifications.
- Design, modify, analyze and troubleshoot logic and digital circuits, and embedded microprocessor-based and microcontroller-based systems, including assembly and high-level language programs.
- Design, analyze and troubleshoot circuits consisting of passive components by applying appropriate measurement techniques.
- Design, analyze and troubleshoot circuits consisting of low power, high power, active and electromechanical components, and analog integrated circuits.
- Design, analyze and troubleshoot control systems.
- Design, analyze, troubleshoot and repair analog and digital communication systems.
- Apply relevant shop practices in compliance with safety policies and current regulations for electronics engineering workplaces.
- Collaborate in selecting, co-ordinating and conducting quality control and quality assurance programs and procedures.
- Complete work in compliance with relevant legislation, established standards, policies, procedures and regulations, and ethical principles.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation, management and evaluation of team projects by applying project management principles.