No other discipline opens as many career doors to the exciting world of high technology as Electronics. In addition, no other branch of science engineering technology has contributed more to the development of the modern world than Electronics. In this program you will learn to develop Apps (applications) for the Internet of Things (IoT) using various operating systems, which will run on different wearables and mobile devices, learn rapid prototyping and 3D Printing.
Electronics engineering technologists design, test, install and service electronic equipment in the fields of:
- Networking, data communications and the Internet
- Computer Hardware & Software
- Power Generation and Distribution
- Industrial automation
- Medical equipment
- Power generation
- Process Instrumentation and Control
- Test and Measurement.
- Consumer Products
As a technologist, you have the ability to expand your skills into a wider career path including the design of circuits and projects. Technologists study more advanced courses in math, engineering theory and scientific principles giving them the advanced knowledge to work in:
- Complex troubleshooting
- Data interpretation
- Decision making
- Design and planning
- Preparation of specifications
- Problem solving
- Project management
Since many technologists move into more advanced levels of engineering as part of their career progression, this program covers theory through the hands-on, practical, project-based learning of:
- Analog and Digital electronic circuits and systems
- Data communications, networking configuration, installation, security and troubleshooting
- Instrumentation and control
- Internet infrastructure and protocols
- Microprocessor-based controls
- Process instrumentation and controls
- Robotics and programmable-logic-controller (PLC)-based controls
- Telecommunication systems
- IoT and Emerging Technologies
Energy conservation, environmental awareness and the global environmental movement will have an impact on you as you train to become part of the green workforce. We promote job-ready skills through leading edge instruction and hands-on practical labs that are available to you in and outside of regular class hours.
To ensure program flexibility, the Electronics Engineering Technician and Electronics Engineering Technology programs have a common first and second year.
In The News