If you paid tuition, you may be able to claim tuition amounts on your tax return by using the Tuition Tax Receipts (T2202) form. The form will be available online via MyCampus as of the last business day of February at 4 p.m.
Please note: The total amount of tuition fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202 because not all tuition fees are tax deductible In addition, the T2202 is based on the January to December tax year and not the September to April academic year.
New for the 2019 tax year
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will require all designated educational institutions in Canada to do the following:
- File Tuition and Enrolment Certificate forms (T2202) with the CRA and make them available to students by February 28, 2020.
- Include SIN numbers on the Tuition and Enrolment Certificate Form (T2202).
In order to protect your privacy. we cannot collect SIN numbers through email. Submission of your SIN can be done in person, over the phone or through MyCampus. For more information please visit here.
Tuition fees not eligible for tax deduction include:
- Entrance or initiation fees to a professional organization;
- Meals and lodging;
- Medical care;
- Retained goods of lasting value (e.g. computer, tools or uniform);
- Transportation and parking; and
- Durham College Student Initiative (DCSI) fees.
In addition to claiming tuition and ancillary fees there may be other eligible fees that you can claim. A copy of eligible tuition amounts is available through MyCampus.
Post-Secondary, Apprenticeship and Professional and Part-time learning students can also retrieve their T2202 forms online through MyCampus. You will require your:
- Student identification number (9 digit 100 number)
- Date of birth or postal code or MyCampus password; and
For more information, please select one of the links below:
Graduates and former students
MyCampus accounts belonging to graduates and former students can be re-activated to allow you to access your T2202 online. If you need to reset your MyCampus password, go to the MyCampus login page and follow the reset password link under the MyCampus Login. If you still cannot reactivate your account, please contact the Help Desk at 905.721.3333, option #1.