The final component of the program is an integrated practicum, which includes 120 hours of clinical practice in an adult critical care practice environment. You will demonstrate competency in the Standards of Practice for Critical Care Nursing in Ontario under the direct preceptorship/mentorship of an experienced critical care nurse and the facilitation of a Durham College faculty advisor.
Upon successful completion of the program, a critical care certificate will be awarded. Transfer credit, advanced standing or challenge will be considered on an individual basis. Please visit www.durhamcollege.ca/criticalcare or contact the program co-ordinator.
Please note: You will be required to adhere to and meet the pre-placement documentation requirements of the host agency.
Practicum Completion Outside of Ontario
For students living and working outside of Ontario, practicum placements outside of the province of Ontario (but in Canada) MAY be accommodated if an affiliation agreement between Durham College and the out-of-Ontario organization can be arranged. If you are considering an out-of-Ontario placement, you will need to self-identify yourself to Durham College prior to confirming your acceptance to the program.
Please send an email with your intent to complete an out-of-Ontario placement to:
Karen Sutton, Program Coordinator OR Joycelyn Kelly, Placement Officer
Students who are requesting a placement outside of their employer are required to complete pre-placement documents.
Please note: There are costs associated with Electronic Student Permit Checking (ESPC), immunizations, lab tests and certifications. Be sure to keep all of your receipts for income tax purposes. These costs include:
- Service fees for Verified, our documentation collection and ESPC verification partner.
- Costs to complete mandatory immunizations, lab tests, and certifications.
It is required that students have completed the ESPC with Verified to be eligible for the field placement component of this program. You must (at your expense) provide:
- A clear and current Criminal Reference Check (CRC) with Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS). If you cannot provide a clear CRC with VSS, you may not be accepted for placement by a field placement agency. A CRC with VSS must be obtained from your local police station. You will be required to obtain additional CRCs with VSS prior to each placement term to meet field placement agency requirements.
- Current Level-C cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and mask fit testing from a recognized provider.
- Entry immunization form completed by a health-care provider.