The Durham College Test Centre is not currently hosting any in-person assessments at this time.
The Test Centre provides proctoring and invigilating for written and online exams for students or groups of students of accredited learning institutions other than Durham College (DC). Examples include colleges, universities, institutes, professional accreditation bodies and trade associations.
The exam writer is responsible for paying the fees listed in the table below. Exam fees must be paid at the time of booking. Courier fees are only incurred at the request of the student or institution/association. Organizations paying fees on behalf of exam writers may be invoiced. Prices subject to change.
|Standard Exam fee||$70 plus HST|
|HOAE – Non-refundable Registration Fee Payable to Durham College||$50|
|Rescheduling fee (as needed)||$25 per test and per date|
|Courier fees (as needed)||$12 per shipment|
|Cancelation Fee (if cancelled prior to test date)||$25 per exam session|
The Health Occupations Aptitude Exam (HOAE) delivery format and fee schedule have changed.
The platform that administers the HOAE has undergone several changes in 2020 and the result is a broadening of delivery methods and increases in associated costs. Applicants must register with Durham College at a non-refundable cost of $50 Canadian dollars. In addition, applicants pay PearsonVUE (PV) their associated fee, based on testing delivery mode.
At the current time, applicants have two choices:
- Write in-person at a PearsonVUE centre – $100 USD payable to PearsonVUE
- Write Remotely with a PearsonVUE invigilator – $85 USD payable to Pearson VUE
Steps for booking a HOAE:
- Complete the registration form. For the HOAE, applicants do not need to refer to the DC Test Centre Open Session Calendar.
- On the registration form, applicants must indicate delivery preference (in-person or remotely).
- A non-refundable $50 fee is payable to Durham College at the time of registration
- Registered applicants receive all further communications from PearsonVUE. Generally, the process will be as follows:
- Applicants will receive a pre-registration email from PSB with links and instructions. A PSB Candidate Handbook will be included in that email
- The applicant should pre-register as soon as possible and will provide PSB with their name (which must match exactly the form of identification that they will use when sitting for the test), the program to which they are applying and their location. Applicants will need to wait for an Authorization to Test (ATT) email from PearsonVUE, which should arrive within 24 hours) before moving forward in the process.
- Applicants will, using the link in the ATT email, create a PearsonVUE account and schedule their test. If the test is on campus, applicants must still schedule it so that they can download and login to the test via PV’s secure browser on the day of the test. A 4 week window to attempt the test is permitted by PearsonVUE.
- Within 24-48 hours after test completion, results are available to Durham College Test Centre staff to submit to OCAS on the applicant’s behalf.
English Language Assessment Equivalency
In response to the challenges facing applicants wanting to obtain English language assessment equivalency as a result of COVID-19, Durham College is now temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test (DET) for open programs only. The DET does not require applicants to visit a test centre and is completed entirely online. Please visit englishtest.duolingo.com/applicants for information about this test.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to request that test scores are sent to Durham College Admissions(email@example.com). Certified test results are available within 48 hours of the test session.
To see which scores will be accepted for admission, please visit the English Language Proficiency Requirement webpage.
Booking a test
Review our Open Session Calendar and select a session by date and time. There should be 20 days between your booking request and the exam date to allow your institution to send your exam to the Test Centre, and to allow for the Test Centre to plan and meet all the exam delivery requirements.
Start your booking request with one of the following methods (shown in preferred order):
- Test Centre Booking Request – online form
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org – with your contact information and exam details. INVOICE requests only.
- In-person – During Reception hours, Gordon Willey Building, Room B291 or in Whitby room 181
Contact your institution and have them send your exam to the DC Test Centre. Ensure there are 20 days from your booking contact to the exam writing date. Failure to provide 20 days puts you at risk of incurring a $25 rescheduling fee. This step is the exam writer’s responsibility; the Test Centre is not authorized to solicit exams on behalf of exam writers.
When your exam arrives, the Test Centre will contact you to confirm the exam date, time, permitted aids, and ID requirements. Payment is due within 4 business days of session booking. The Test Centre accepts Visa or MasterCard payments by phone, debit card in person in advance.
Payment is due prior to writing. If payment has not been processed you may not be permitted to write your exam and will be required to pay a rescheduling fee to write on an alternative date.
Please note the Test Centre does not accept cash for payment at any time.
CANCELLATIONS / No Shows
If you cancel your exam after the booking has been confirmed and the exam has been received, you will receive a refund of the payment amount less a $25 administration fee, and any courier fees or other disbursements incurred.
Cancelation requests must be received 3 business days prior to the booked session date to be eligible for refund.
If notice is received prior to the confirmed test date, a $25 rescheduling fee will be levied with each date change.
HOAE assessment fees to Durham College are non-refundable.