For nearly four decades, students from across the province have brought their ideas and competitive spirit to Ontario College’s Marketing Competition (OCMC) to demonstrate their practical skills and employability while networking with industry professionals.
In November, 15 students from Durham College’s (DC) Marketing – Business and Marketing – Business Administration programs travelled to Niagara Falls, Ont. to compete against more than 250 other students. There, they were coached by six faculty volunteers from the School of Business, IT & Management and challenged in an array of marketing categories, including retail marketing and entrepreneurship.
Seven DC students placed in their respective categories, including:
- Brendan Scott – first place, Quiz Bowl Competition and third place, Entrepreneurship Competition
- Kaitlyn Braisier – third place, Job Interview Competition
- Youssef Zaki – third place, Entrepreneurship Competition
- Malcolm Hooper – fourth place, Quiz Bowl Competition
- Chin-Ting Sherwin – fifth place, Direct Marketing Competition
- Nicholas Bowman – fifth place, Direct Marketing Competition
Kaitlyn Braisier also received the prestigious Lydiatt Award, which is presented to a student who demonstrates commitment to the OCMC, supports others while working hard and has shown outstanding character and leadership in their college and community. A two-time OCMC participant, Kaitlyn doubled the number of DC students who tried out for the competition this year by organizing new recruitment efforts, like a mentor event where previous OCMC competitors shared their experience to inspire students and foster a sense of community within the team.
Congrats to Kaitlyn and all of our DC students on their achievement!