NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
As the link between an organization and its customer base, marketers require creative and practical decision-making skills and clear and persuasive communication skills. This program will help you develop your business skills for a variety of job opportunities in a number of different sectors. It will also offer a balance between the marketing-specific subjects and general business subjects required for success. Marketing-related studies include:
- Business strategy
- Digital marketing (i.e. website design, social media)
- Design literacy
- Brand communications
- Advertising campaign management
- Relationship-based selling
You will develop a strong understanding of current business and marketing theories and practices with hands-on experience gained through the execution of marketing research projects; discussions about current marketing cases; and partnerships with local businesses including developing marketing recommendations to help them achieve their business objectives.
Students can also earn the following globally recognized certificates by taking Microsoft Office Specialist exams as part of their computer courses:
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Word Associate (COMP1209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: PowerPoint Associate (COMP1209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate (COMP2209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Expert (if applicable currently will be offered in Accounting and Supply Chain programs)
Students who successfully pass all three exams can earn an extra certificate that recognizes their accomplishment with the Microsoft Office Specialist: Associate (Office 365 and Office 2019) certificate. DC students are provided access to Microsoft Office 365 through the college’s Microsoft Office account. See more details about this opportunity.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Contribute to the development of a marketing plan that will meet the needs or goals of a business or organization.
- Contribute to the development of an integrated marketing communication plan of a product, concept, good, and/or service based on an identified market need or target.
- Contribute to the development of new and/or modified marketing concepts, products, goods, and/or services that respond to market needs.
- Contribute to the development of strategies for the efficient and effective placement/distribution of a product, good, and/or service to respond to an evolving market.
- Contribute to the development of strategies related to pricing for a product, good and/or service.
- Analyze the viability of a concept, product, good, and/or service in local, national or global markets.
- Participate in conducting market research to provide information needed to make marketing decisions
- Communicate marketing information persuasively and accurately, in oral, written, graphic and interactive media formats.
- Plan, prepare and deliver a sales presentation or pitch to address the needs of the client.
- Develop strategies with clients, customers, consumers, co-workers, supervisors, and others to maintain and grow working relationships.
- Develop learning and development strategies to enhance professional growth in the field.
- Apply entrepreneurial strategies to identify and respond to new career opportunities that might include contract employment, and self-employment initiatives.
- Operate within a framework of organizational policies and practices, when conducting business of the organization.