NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
Used in a wide variety of organizations, accounting involves measuring business activities; processing information into financial reports and statements; and communicating information to the appropriate decision-makers. To meet the wide range of accounting employment opportunities, Durham College incorporates a variety of simulations into the courses to help prepare students for the workplace. Students will be exposed to QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Desktop, Sage 50, and Profile. Courses include:
- Business Mathematics
- Computerized Accounting and Excel
- Managerial Accounting
- Financial Accounting
- Personal Taxation
Students can also earn the following globally recognized certificates by taking Microsoft Office Specialist exams as part of their computer courses:
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Word Associate (COMP1209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: PowerPoint Associate (COMP1209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate (COMP2209)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Expert (if applicable currently will be offered in Accounting and Supply Chain programs)
Students who successfully pass all three exams can earn an extra certificate that recognizes their accomplishment with the Microsoft Office Specialist: Associate (Office 365 and Office 2019) certificate. DC students are provided access to Microsoft Office 365 through the college’s Microsoft Office account. See more details about this opportunity.
- This program can be completed in two years and provides entry-level training accounting.
- Pathways are available to the third year of the Business Administration - Accounting program, which leads to the Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) at Ontario Tech University, the Bachelor of Business Administration at Trent University, and other pathway agreements. For more information view our transfer guide.
- Students can transfer to any other first-year business program at Durham College after the first semester.
As a graduate, you can apply to return for a third year to complete the Accounting – Business Administration three-year Ontario College Advanced Diploma.
Subject to additional education and training requirements, you may be eligible to apply your credits towards other related certifications, including: