You will acquire skills in the effective use of industry-standard software and learn from professors who are connected to the industry. As a student, you will have the opportunity to interact directly with industry professionals and to participate in hands-on learning opportunities such as case competitions and either a field placement or co-operative education (co-op) experience.
NOTE: Students enrolling in this program are required to purchase their own laptop. For specific hardware and software requirements for this program click here.
Human resources (HR) professionals serve as strategic partners in today’s business environment. They work closely with management colleagues at all levels of a company on a variety of project-based and proactive initiatives. Many roles are performed by HR professionals including the following:
- Advocating on a variety of staff issues
- Developing and implementing company policies, procedures, programs and services
- Giving advice and counsel to corporate executives, line managers and employees
This program will develop your skills, knowledge and abilities in the following areas:
- Compensation management and performance appraisals
- Employee and labour relations
- HR planning and training and development
- Managerial accounting
- Occupational health and safety
- Recruitment and selection
As a successful graduate of this program you will qualify for approved credit towards the academic component of the Certified Human Resources Professionals (CHRP) designation granted by the Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario (HRPAO). Students who receive an average grade of 70 per cent in these courses and maintain a minimum grade of 65 per cent in each course meet the coursework requirements to write the Comprehensive Knowledge Exams – a significant step towards becoming a CHRP. Please visit www.hrpa.ca for full details.
Graduates have secured jobs in their field of study and after achieving this all important first step in their professional career may, at a future point, decide to continue the path toward HRPA certification.
Students entering this program in September 2021 or after, will also have the opportunity to earn a certificate in Mental Health First Aid.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of employee recruitment, selection, and retention strategies.
- Administer and facilitate the performance management program.
- Coordinate and support the development, implementation, and evaluation of employee orientation, training, and development programs.
- Implement and support effective employee and labour relations strategies in both non-union and union environments.
- Administer and communicate the organisation's total compensation plan.
- Collaborate with others, in the implementation and monitoring of organisational health and safety policies and practices.
- Contribute to the identification of information needs and apply current and emerging information technologies to support the human resources function.
- Contribute to organisational development strategies aimed at promoting organisational effectiveness.
- Present and evaluate communication messages and processes related to the human resources function of the organisation.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate personal professional development plans to achieve ongoing competence in human resources professional practice.
- Identify and communicate the human resources component of the organisation's business plan.
- Contribute to the collection, analysis, and utilisation of human resources data.