Chemical engineering technology is about creating value through chemical conversions, all the way from lab-scale processes to optimizing full plant operations, and this program provides training to enable graduates to do this. Applications include manufacturing of high-tech polymers, water treatment operations, catalytic conversions, nuclear power and sustainable fuel sources-Chemical engineering technologists play a role in each of these areas.
This program will provide you with hands-on experience and a solid background in analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, nuclear physics and instrumental analysis including chromatography and spectroscopy, as well as process control and sustainability. Working alone and in teams, first-hand experience is emphasized through our fully equipped Analytical Instrumentation laboratory. The core of the program will give you training and experience in the handling, analyzing, monitoring, processing and properties of a wide variety of chemicals.
Safety and environmental compliance are both emphasized in the program as chemical engineering technologists take processes from “cradle to cradle”. The field placement component of the program provides valuable contacts and experience.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Perform all work in compliance with relevant statutes, regulations, standards, practices and guidelines.
- Implement, co-ordinate and evaluate quality control and quality assurance procedures to meet organisational standards and requirements.
- Troubleshoot industrial or chemical processes and laboratory equipment.
- Solve complex problems and perform tasks by applying principles of mathematics, physics, chemistry and chemical engineering.
- Perform, co-ordinate, implement and validate laboratory procedures to conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses and tests.
- Prepare and purify compounds using standard synthesis and purification procedures.
- Maintain and control industrial or chemical processes and assist with their design using chemical engineering principles.
- Analyse and interpret data using statistical methods.
- Select and use current technologies in chemical engineering tasks and projects.
- Prepare, modify, interpret and present technical documents for chemical engineering applications.
- Apply best practices for sustainability.
- Develop strategies for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance in a multi-disciplinary workplace.